Can you be TOO protective with your tots in public places?

I know there is a line somewhere, but...

... a couple of days ago, a man grabbed a 2 year-old girl in a Dollar Tree, with shoppers all around, took her into another isle, stripped her bottom and began to rape her. Her grandmother had let her go a few isles away to return an item. The man (a previously convicted sex offender -- last time it was a 7 year-old) was caught and is now in custody.

Just a few isles away...for just a moment.

My kids complained because I always told them, "I need to be able to see you" when we were out in public places.

Can we be too careful with our little ones?

Story Link:  http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/east_bay&id=7821397

ss_mom

Asked by ss_mom at 3:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Ok found the story...that is disturbing...but the child was TWO. TWO! Since when do you even let a 2 yr old out of the shopping cart! I just recently let my 5 yr old walk in the store instead of being in the cart. The kid at least needs to be old enough to yell out that something is wrong.
    Anonymous

• My 4 year old is never out of my sight.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• As far as I'm concerned, you can never be too protective when children are very young.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I don't think we can be too careful. I hate the playlands at fast food places because I can't see through them and can't see my child. The anxiety is not worth going there, plus the food is not good for them anyways.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Oh my god, that is horrible! I have chills!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I say no. I dont let my daughter (shes 2) to walk without me or her dad or someone I trust with her. We have a rule that she has to hold our hand or she gets to be carried. No ifs ands or buts about it. If we are in a store she can either hold our hand or ride in the cart or hold on to the side of the cart. Theres too many creeps in this world and I would rather seem over protective then think of what I could of done better to make sure it never happened if something were to happen to her.
    Sammieda

Answer by Sammieda at 3:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• There is no such thing as too careful or protective. If I can't see my DD or reach her in a moments notice she is too far away. Anything can happen. My DD is 7 and we make sure she is fully informed. She knows that there are people out there that are dangerous and that unless we say it is ok she is NOT to speak with them even if she "knows" who they are.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 3:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My two year old is soooo buisy and I am in a full sweat everytime we leave the store,lol! I mean the chase is on. I do like to let her explore and have some freedom. but yes if I am focused on something else she is in the basket or holding my hand. EEEEKK!!!!! this story freaks me out and let me tell you the thoughts that go through my head when I hear this stuff, that guy wouldnt have made it to prison. god help anyone who trys to touch my baby...Im just sayin how infuriating. who could do these thing:(
    scanamey77

Answer by scanamey77 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• That guy has to be insane. Really. Some kind of mental illness to do that right out in the open like that. Not to say doing it private isnt insane but you know what i mean...Its pretty rare for a strange person to just do that out in the open like that.
    Anonymous

• Yes, it is a very disturbing story. But everyone needs to be aware...there are perverts out there.

I see little kids running unsupervised in stores all the time, and not just in toy stores or kids' areas. I was, more than once, criticized for being "too careful" with my kids. But sometimes we really are better safe than sorry. :-\
    ss_mom

Comment by ss_mom (original poster) at 3:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010