TRICARE????

We are gettin tricare now that the hubby is going overseas. Is it good coverage or not. Right now the children have medical assistance from the state. Will tricare be the same, will it coverage be the same? How will it work with my pregnancy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Health

• its a lot like having an HMO. There is Standard and Prime. We have prime. We have a primary care physician at a base if you are near one, otherwise if you are too far from a base,you choose one from a list Tricare provides you with that is civilian and will give you referrals to any specialists you need and will see you for routine appointments. Emergency room visits are covered too. I like how there are no copays for doctor visits. Most HMO's have them. That is where Tricare Prim is different. You will have to go to civilians for dental which is covered through United Concordia. The military pays for that too. The family plan is like 23 bucks a month for the whole family. Overall, I like the plan. The only thing is they don't cover the costs of eyewear, just the exams. Hope this helps!
    clemonade

Answer by clemonade at 11:06 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Tricare Prime is great! For my pregnancy we haven't paid anything for it or the birth. The above answer basically gives you the lowdown on it, she explained it pretty well. If you have any questions or anything feel free to message me & I'll try to answer them as best as I can. Good luck with your husband's deployment, I know it can be rough we've been through a couple of them. ;)
    proudmama2772

Answer by proudmama2772 at 11:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• TRICARE Online
    Provides general health information, and details about services and benefits.
    https://www.tricareonline.com/
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• The above answers are great and yest depending on where you live will determine the coverage you would pick. When you are first eligible for TRICARE, you are entitled to Standard, which is like a PPO. There are deductibles and cost shares that apply, but more freedom. Deductibles are $50/$100 For an E4 and below and $150/$300 for an E5 and above. Cost shares are 15% - 20%. Some areas don't offer Prime, so Standard would most likely be best.
    logansmamma

Answer by logansmamma at 2:27 AM on Aug. 22, 2008

• Then Prime as an active duty family has no out of pocket costs. It's an HMO type coverage, where like the above answer stated, your primary doctor will refer you out for specialty care. Some areas will have a mandatory enrollment to an MTF, some areas you have the option of civilian or an MTF, and some areas are only civilian providers. Depending on where you live as well there are 3 regional contractors for the West, South and North regions. Here are some of the sites: www.tricare.mil , www.humana-military.com , www.triwest.com , www.hnfs.net .
    logansmamma