Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

can i leave town?

I am from california and want to move down with my sister which is about 8 hrs away but in the same state. I am trying to get out of a domestic violent situation and i am not married to the childs father. Will it cause problems with custody if i did that?

Answer Question

Asked by mom8615 at 3:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Relationships

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (3)
  • I wouldn't think so. As long as you haven't been court ordered not to move you should be fine.
    However if I were you I would start keeping a record of the abuse so that if he takes you to court you can prove that he is not a fit father. Also I know it sounds weird but if I were you I wouldn't go after child support that could piss him off and it sounds like you just need him out of your life.

    Answer by 2murphyboys at 3:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

  • Call your local women's shelter. They usually have legal resources or experience with exactly the situation you are asking about.

    Answer by sweetpotato418 at 4:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

  • sweetpotato418 hit it right on the head

    Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 4:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.