Part 2 of 2: Would you induce before you EDD just because you felt like it?

Would you induce before 37 weeks just because you were ready to see your little one? Why not? They can make it after 32 weeks can't they? I mean pregnancies are supposed to last 40 weeks at least, but, sooner is fine if you are anxious right?

BradenIsMySon

Asked by BradenIsMySon at 3:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Same answer as before - oh hell no! I was induced early (39 weeks) with one of my pregnancies but it was due to health issues, NOT because I felt like it!
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't. They give you a rough estimate that it's okay after 32 weeks.. but we are just talking about "survival".. not full development. My son was born at 34 weeks (not on purpose), but he was no way ready to be born. He spent 10 days in intensive care in Children's Hospital.
    Jambo4

Answer by Jambo4 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think that 36 weeks is when the lungs are developed and you can deliver with out any issues. I was induced on my due date but I dont think I would have decided to go before that.
    MKmom306

Answer by MKmom306 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Hahahaha...ok. Well, frankly, I am getting sick of the "I am sick of being pregnant, how can I bring on labor" questions.

If you are 39 weeks or or have issues, fine. But, the 36 week lady was just nuts.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• No, because a baby might be due up to 4 weeks later than measurements and dates might imply, and a baby born much too early is at risk of all kinds of horrible things.

Some of the risks of premature birth:

multiple organ failure
    lung damage
    blindness
    apnea (when they spend periods of time not breathing)
    brain damage
    jaundice (not physiologic jaundice)
    gastric refulx (GERD)
    heart damage
    necrotizing (dying flesh) enterocolitis (in their digestive systems)

Even guesses of fetal age and size are often wrong, using the best measuring tools available. Babies are best (healthiest) when born naturally. For one thing, because that makes the risk of infant and maternal death normal instead of elevated as it is currently in the US.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 4:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• well hun they will not induce u that early nad unless there was a medical reason or you rae like me and no matter what u do u r in constent pain no i wouldn't. i hurt to sit stand and or lay down and my dr still wont help me out and i will be 38 weeks monday
    eaglesbaby1

Answer by eaglesbaby1 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I was induced at 37 weeks due to health issues. I had a miserable pregnancy full of complications, but I still would not have chosen to be induced early.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 4:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I would only be induced if there was a medical reason behind it
    Justins_mommy05

Answer by Justins_mommy05 at 4:13 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• How come nobody is mentioning the risks of being born later? They are so much worse than the risks of being born a week or two early. Most of the deaths I saw in the NICU were from full term babies. Meconium and too large with heart issues. The 24 weekers were much more likely to survive then a meconium baby. I would much rather have my baby at 37 weeks than 40.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 4:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Every mecomium baby I have seen were fine. Same as born later babies. Even the March of Dimes agrees with me. I have yet to hear of any issues with a child born at 41 or 42 weeks. And see plenty of issues with early babies.

I was born 18 days past my EDD in 1976. I went directly home afterwards.
    BradenIsMySon

Comment by BradenIsMySon (original poster) at 4:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2010