How do you not let his words get to you???

Some people on this site think i am using pregnancy as an excuse of crying but i only cry when my feelings are deeply hurt or a sad or happy show or movie (lol) but how can i not let things people say get to me?? i never really cared much and would respond with attitude or sarcasm but since my life has been changing so much and i am adjusting and accepting everything that is going on, fighting what my BF says about me is becoming harder.

Onenamillion

Asked by Onenamillion at 4:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• YOu have the POWER to choose how you perceive things. Once you are aware of that, once you get that, you can choose to be upset or not. Listen carefully to you own thoughts. If they have a negative tune, look for alternatives. Rephrase them. Aks yourself: Is what I'm telling myself in my best interest? Or is it bringing me down?
    Try it. It works. Practise makes perfect
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 4:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Of course it will get to you. You need to build up a shield that will defect the words. The more you care about a person, trust a person, the more they can hurt you. So if someone you care about and trust says something hurtful, first find out if it is a valid statement, and if it isn't, then realize the person misunderstands, is being deliberately hurtful, or what. If it is a misunderstanding, you can try to set it straight. If there is deliberate intent to hurt you, then figure out why.

Answer by Bmat at 4:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I don't really think there's a way not to let them get to you once he says them, a better tactic would be to let him know in no uncertain terms that he is not allowed to speak to you like that. Kick him to the curb if he keeps it up.
    annabellelee

Answer by annabellelee at 4:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• (((HUGS))) It hurts but take a deep breath and let him know hey why do you talk to me in this manner or hey maybe we should take a break leave the room gather your thoughts and tell him why are you talking to me like this and let him know after sit down write it out and let it go. Have a great weekend doll!!
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2010