What kind of education will the first kids recieve now?

Will Obama's girls be in private school, public school (lol), or home school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Let's be realistic here. I chose my place of residence based upon the schools. We picked the school district to live in, then we bought a house there. I realize we are very fortunate, because not everyone can afford to make that choice, and not everyone can find a job where they want to live.

The Obamas do not have a choice about the location of their residence in DC. Are any of you intimately familiar with the public schools near the White House? I'm not. How likely is it that there is a fantastic public elementary school 1/2 a mile away? Do they want the girls driving an hour each way to attend a really great public school, or would they prefer to have them nearby?

If the public schools aren't good enough for a law professor's kids, blame it on the previous administrations, who have not solved the problem of underperformance and underfunding.
    yarnjunkie

Answer by yarnjunkie at 10:13 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Same as now, private school only it'll be in DC instead of Chicago.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• The man has a Harvard education. I'm sure the decisions made about his children's education have nothing to do with him being the new president. It's highly unlikely he'd send them to any educational institution that is less than top notch!
    PA2B

Answer by PA2B at 8:23 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Funny how he says every public school should have as good as a education as a private, but yet he sends his kids to private school.

I say Walk the walk..

Jimmy Carter did it. He sent his kids to public school, why not make a statement that you believe in public education...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:36 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• grlygrlz2......get real.

ABCnews did a "thing" on it the other night. They discussed how Jimmy Carter's daughter went to a public school - but times were MUCH different back then. The Obama's are hunting out a private school in DC. Shame on them for wanting to protect their daughters! ::rolls eyes::

Yes, he wants public school children to have as good an education as those in private school. That doesn't mean it is (in all areas)? No. Seeing as how he was elected 2 days ago, you can hardly lay the blame for that at his feet.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 8:50 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Does that mean*.......Not "that's doesn't mean..." My bad.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 8:51 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Every person can make a difference(his words)...
    All I am saying is he could "walk the walk" and signifiy he believes in Public Schools by sending them to public schools. If public schools aren't safe enough what about Charter schools? Obama believes in Charter Schools, so maybe he could send them to a Charter school
    I don't think that is unrealistic.

Do as I say, not as I do?
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:56 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Gods, that is his and his wife's decision to make-You want to be able to choose where to send your own kids, and there's no reason to think anyone might try to kidnap or harm them, right? Don't you think it's a bit different for a president, no matter who or what party he belongs to?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• No, Anon., she doesn't. She's got to cling to whatever "reason" she can to judge Obama unfairly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:10 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• don't think it is a matter of whether or not the public schools are good. Obama's family will need security 24/7, I think it is in the best interest for his family to have his children at a top private school or with a home tutor. I think they will choose the best situation that will allow his children to be with their body guards 24/7 and with the least amount of distraction to the other children around. I personally don't see that happening at a public school. And walk the walk...I am a public school teacher and whether or not I place my children in private or public it is my business. There are more factors involved besides the level of curriculum being offered to the children.
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 9:18 AM on Nov. 6, 2008