I have a sister that is 10 years older than me. Do any of you have a big age gap between you and a sister? Do you get along?

My sister is 38 and I am 28. I have a hard time having a relationship with her because she acts more like a mom to me then a sister. I already have a mom. But then she'll turn around and try to be my friend and talk to me about her sex life, like I am her girl friend! She tells me I'm a prude all the time. Anyway, I was wondering how other peoples relationships were with their older sister.

RubyBlue82

Asked by RubyBlue82 at 4:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• I have a sister who is 6 years younger than me and we are like best friends, but our older sister is 9 years older than my younger and she acts like a mother to my lil sis but not to me. I think it also has to do with her being the oldest and always having more responibility and authority growing up.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 5:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My sister is exactly 10 years older than me, too. I also have three brothers. They are 6; 8 and 14 years older than me. We get along well. Don't see each other very often.
    BeachMom81

Answer by BeachMom81 at 5:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Yes my sister and I are 8yrs apart. I am the older one. In our situation our parents were never around and I was always the parent to my other siblings. My parents always went to me if one of them was ditching school or needed to talk about periods and stuff a parent should do. As I got older I told my parents that I am tired of parenting them its not my job I need to live my life etc etc...When my sis became a teenager she got an older bf which I wasn't too fond of but put my 2 cents in and stayed out of it. Our dad would tell my sis lies about things that I said when I didn't to the point she believed him. And our relationship is difficult.

Maybe you should see things from your sisters POV and you will be able to understand her more.
    vjoaquin

Answer by vjoaquin at 5:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My Sister is 11 years older and never made me feel like that. She is always there for support & encouragement. She is very young for her age. More trendy then me too!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I don't have a sister but I do have two brothers that are 15 and 20 years younger than me! Now that is an age gap!
    mamax4our

Answer by mamax4our at 5:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I have a sister who is 13 yrs older and we get along
    I have a brother who is 12 yrs older and we get along
    i have another sister who is 9 years older and we despise each other
    I have another brother who is 20 yrs younger and he is my little buddy!!!!!
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My three older brothers are 10+ years older then me. I'm not sure of their exact ages, but mid-late 30's and early 40's.
    We all get along, but one brother inparticular treats us like he's our parent too. "Do I have to talk to him?" Regarding a boyfriend when I was younger. And giving advice like we're children. The youngest of the three is closer to our age, so he doesn't treat us like we're kids. The oldest of the three has his own family drama, so he pretty much keeps to himself.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• i'm 21. my sisters are 53 52 and 49.
    ive never had a relationship with them.
    i know them, i've known them my whole life, we just dont relate because of the age difference.
    i really wish we did have a relationship because theyre family and i really need someone in my life,
    but they hate my mom (their step mom) so theyve never cared for me, im sure they dont like our dad that much so
    its just never happened.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 5:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I am 8 years older than my sister. I am 7 years older than my brother. When I lived at home we all got along great. I don't think our age gap is what has killed our relationship so much as my joining the military has. I think the distance and us having such drastically different life experiences has caused us to find it difficult to understand each other.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I understand her reason for acting motherly to me, but I don't understand her always telling me what NEED to do, instead of just advising what I SHOULD do. She also gets in my business. The other day she called up the cable company pretending to be me, so she could see what me balance was. Then yelled at me because I lied to her about how much I owed! She is seriously a control freak and I have such a hard time dealing with her!!
    RubyBlue82

Comment by RubyBlue82 (original poster) at 5:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2010