i just want to know if it is gonna be hard on my little girl when the new baby comes?

my girl will be 4 the end of the month and been the only child will it be hard for her adjust to the new baby being home when it happens?

eaglesbaby1

Asked by eaglesbaby1 at 5:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• most likely, though it can never be sure, she will be head over heels with the new baby. she's old enough to enjoy having a little baby around and not feel threatened by his/her presence. it can happen though but as long as you allow her to help you in any way she can she may adjust better. when i brought my 3rd home, my oldest was 3 and she hovered over the baby all day long! she'd go to school and come home and go right to the new baby.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• She may regress and start doing "baby" things again for a while, like not using the potty or being more needy, or just acting out. In time in will pass.
    sweet29mom

Answer by sweet29mom at 5:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• 5 months ago my 4 1/2 year old son was so mad at me when I went into the hospital to have my baby. He wouldn't even talk to me over the phone. He thought we left him and he thought we were replacing him. But by the time we came home with the baby he had completely changed. That was HIS baby lol. They are attatched at the hip now.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My oldest daughter was almost 4 when the new baby was born. I prepped her for it way in advance. I read books to her about baby sisters...they were those easy to follow cardboard books, lol. And when an opportunity came up to talk about her new sibling, I would keep it brief and just tell her. Kids are smart...they won't get the ''how'' but they will get 'it' as a whole.

4 is a good age because they're old enough to help and it makes them feel needed and special when they're asked to help. My daughter brings diapers or hands me diaper cream. She gets a kick outta that.

There will be days when the older sibling will revert to being a baby becasue he/she will see the new baby getting a lot of attention...it is important to give positive reinforcements of what a big boy/girl he/she is and a big helper,etc. One on one time too is very important!

Good luck & congrats on your new baby!!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 5:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• That depends on your daughter. Every child reacts differently when the baby comes home.
    Just try to give your daughter individual time with just you and here .. and then invidual time with just her father and her. As well as try to keep her as involved as she wants to be with the baby. Even including helping feed her, change her, etc. The more you make baby out to be a good thing the easier it usually is for kids to adjuts.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Mine was excited have you had her around babies? Did she like them? Our daughterwas happy and scared now we are having our fourth but our youngest dd isn't doing well she loves babies but is very about Mommie so I spend time with all my girls separately and I hope it helps... all you can do is take care of the baby together don't force her if she doesn't want to of course you know that but after baby is asleep spend special time with dd and cuddle let her know she's still your baby and shes very special to be a big sister now! You'll do great I was scared but as always your motherly instinctive traits will kick in to both their needs.
    armywifeforever

Answer by armywifeforever at 5:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It may be hard for her but the biggest thing you can do is give her as much attention as possible. Let her help you with the baby (helping to pick out oufits and help change the baby) Make her as big a part of if as you can. Get her excited now, buy or make her an I'm the big sister shirt, let her come to you babyshower (if it hasn't already happened). Let her know that the baby is gonna need your time and attention too, but ath you love her just as much as you always have.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 5:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• As mentioned earlier make sure you do special things with just her so she knows she is still very important to you. The best advice I ever got was to focus on the older siblings for awhile. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:21 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• talk to her about the baby. and explain things to her. i think she is old enough to understand and i dont think she will regress at all. my daughter is 5yrs old and i'm expecting baby #2. i believe more than anything, your daughter will be excited. have her be involved as much as possible and give her lots of praise.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 3:23 AM on Dec. 4, 2010