(dont ask dont tell) why would anyone in the gay community want to serve a country that doesnt do anything...

to benefit their way of life,or do not treat them equally than someone who isnt gay?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Because they love their country, and they want to be able to serve and have the same rights as everyone else.

A photographer took pictures of many gay soldiers to make a statement about DADT, and he asked them this:

"I asked, 'Why do you still serve with this policy in place? Why would you do it?' " Sheng said. "And they all looked at me and said, 'Because it's serving the country. It's the most honorable thing that I can think of doing right now in my life.'

Jeff Sheng gay service members photo exhibit
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Because they are better human beings than the idiots who want to keep them in the closet.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Out of patriotic duty and financial need.

Answer by older at 5:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Chell.o, you would not think that DADT is great if you were the one discriminated upon............

Answer by older at 5:39 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I'm not sure it matters why anyone would want to serve, they morally now and will legally soon have that right. However, people can be patriotic and wish to serve their country in spite of the fact thatcher may not always agree with ievery single policy.
    annabellelee

Answer by annabellelee at 5:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I served as a bisexual member, and I had many gay friends that I served with. There are plenty of work places where you still hide your sexuality, not just the military (regardless of what the law says). We still went to gay clubs, still dated same sex partners, but the underlying fear of being outed is definitely there. Some duty stations are more accepting than others. Fortunately, where I was stationed, people didn't have to worry as much as people on a ship would, for example.
    We LOVED our jobs. Serving in the military is a matter of pride for some of us. I was a hospital corpsman, which meant that I got to work as a doctor, basically. Nowhere else in the world would I be able to have the same experience I got while I was on active duty.
    People don't always discuss who they're sleeping with at work. It's not part of the "work" you, it's personal, and when you're gay, you have to keep the two separated.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• honey nobody is treating equal in the military. all service members are just slaves to the government. shit pay, shit treatment but the only good thing is the benefits which ALL service members get, straight or gay. i would imagine people of the gay community want to serve their country because of the same reasons people of the straight community would, they're loyal citizens, want to better themselves, get some education & training, etc. there's lots of reasons people join.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 5:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Here's a link to that photographer's photo project I mentioned above. He also has some general information, and quotes from some of the soldiers he photographed in between some of the photos. I think these pictures are very powerful.

Jeff Sheng Don't Ask Don't Tell Volume 1
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think it comes down to wanting to serve and protect the PEOPLE, rather than the country itself. People who join the military aren't going to war (or risking going to war) in order to promote or preserve our government, they are protecting their loved ones, their families and complete strangers who live their lived day by day as best they can. They aren't supporting the LEGAL system, but the PEOPLE who live here and they are striving to give THEM a better life or protect the life they have. Do they wish things were different? Of course the majority do, we all have things we wish were different, but that's a different kind of war that has to be fought - and it is being fought... However, not having their way on one front doesn't mean that they have less respect or love for their fellow citizens, even if SOME of those citizens have less respect and love for them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:21 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• not everyone in America (or the people our military protect) hate gays.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 5:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2010