So, schools have fire drills and emergency whether drills... Should they also have "school shooting" drills as well?

At this point we all know if CAN happen anywhere. Most people automatically think "it won't happen here" but the truth is it CAN. Just like there is little to no chance your kids school will have a fire or other emergency, it's always best that they know what to do SHOULD something happen. So, should there be some kind of preparedness drill done for things like shootings or similar risks?

What do you think?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• The likelihood of a school needing to evacuate for a fire is far higher than them needing to evacuate for a shooting. Just because something CAN happen doesn't mean it will probably happen. Fires happen in schools far more often than shootings. They aren't similar risks.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 5:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Some schools aready does.
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 5:21 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Here are some statistics: "Each year in the United States, an average of 5,500 structure fires occur in educational institutions." The US Fire Administration published this report a few years ago.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 5:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• when i was in public schools we had lock down drills which is what youre refering to.
    it was a "code 1, code 2, code 3" code 1 was the big one, we had to lock the doors, turn the lights off close the blinds get under our desks (hide) and stay really quiet

code 3 was just locking the building so no one could get in, this happens sometimes when theres a robbery in a school area.

but yeah most schools have lock down drills. they just are called "school shooting drills" that would be kind of........blunt.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 5:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My daughters school has terrorism drills. They learn where to hide and to be very quiet.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think it's a great idea.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Since this school year has started I have heard of more than one bomb threat and at least one local school where a PARENT has shown up with a Gun (yes a parent). However I have yet to see a single school fire on the news...

Whether or not these things are for real (like in the case of the bomb scares) or simply don't end in violence (like with that parent showing up armed and angry) or they actually do end in someone being harmed, isn't really the point. What is the point is that when this stuff happens - and it happens rather often, the students need to have the basic knowledge of what to do...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 5:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• but yeah most schools have lock down drills

~Lockdown drills. Exactly.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think it's great that so many of your local schools do this stuff. I wish ours did. My local school hasn't had issues like this since I was in HS (10 yrs ago) but as I said, there is a chase of bomb scare, threat of violence, gun or something similar on the local news at least every few weeks. I just feel these students have the right to know how to handle something like this and I wish more schools would step up and institute drills...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 5:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• On the other hand, in the 2010 academic year, 7 students were killed in school shootings and most of those were gang related (i.e., not a lunatic busting into the school to randomly kill innocent kids). That information is published here, by the "National School Safety and Security Services" (whoever they are). According to stats on Wiki (no, not the best source, but it'll work for this), there were 76.6 million students in school (kindergarten through graduate school) in the United states. The risk of getting shot while at school (7 out of 76.6 million) really isn't that high.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 5:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2010