Does anyone have any suggestions with teaching your child to read ?

StaciMarkRep

Asked by StaciMarkRep at 5:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• The 1# most important thing you can do is read to and with your child every day. Go the library and let your child choose books. Buy them books as gifts. Encourage them to buy books with allowance money. Make sure your home of a variety of reading material. If your child loves books and is motivated to read it is very likely reading will come easily to him or her.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 8:47 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Did school give you a list of flashcards that were sight words? We just flashed the sight cards (it, and, the, she, he, etc) over and over and then when reading, they'd recognize them. We began sounding out and it all came together.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Recognize the alphabet and sounds. Be creative here. :)
    Start with short vowel sounds.
    Start reading 3 letter words.
    Do it everyday.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 5:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Starfall.com is amazing. My daughter taught herself simple reading and writing by playing on it.

Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 4:27 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Both my kids were early readers. They both read by the time they were 3.

We kept a little white board in the family room, with the alphabet across the top. They went through it a few times during the day...as a FUN activity.
    Keep lots of children's books on hand. Both little board books that are treated as toys, and regular books that are well cared for.
    Read to them often. Let them sit in your lap and touch the words as you read along. Ask them, occasionally, to read a word and/or to identify the letters.
    As you go through the day, point out letters in labels and things around the house, then read the words: K-L-E-E-N-E-X, Kleenex.
    Start now. When I got up to get my son's bottle, I took him with me and read F-O-R-M-U-L-A. Looked out at the night sky M-O-O-N.
    His first day of kindergarten, he read a book to the class.

"Books are so much fun!" My DH always told our kids. And they believe it to this day. :-D
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 5:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I can tell you that each of my kids were different. My son had no interest in learning no matter what I tried. Flash cards, reading to him, teaching him the sounds. My daughter is just almost 4 and she is teaching herself pretty much. She knows the sounds that all the letters make and she is starting to sound out words. It is crazy. We do have flash cards with letters and animals that start with that letter on them. She likes to do them, they are fun. I also bought her a Leap Frog Tag for Christmas,.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Letters and sounds and smaller sight words are the first steps. Once those things start going well, then things fall into place much more quickly.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:05 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I sawa a toy on television that I thought looked like a child could have a lot of fun with and it is called Mobigo. Children learn quicker and remember more when it was something they had fun playing with in the first place. It teaches reading and word recognition. May be a great gift for the holidays.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:06 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• How old is your child now?
    In school / are the children learning there?
    Do you read books to your child?
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:21 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• http://readtheory.org/
    honeyrder

Answer by honeyrder at 8:13 PM on Dec. 4, 2010