WORKMAN'S COMP QUESTION! Little background.......

I am a waitress at work and we have to bring food out and bus tables with tray. I've been doing that for 6 yrs. I have calcific tendinitis on my right shoulder. A chunk of calcium showed with x-ray. Waiting for MRI appt. My personal dr. gave me time off from till Dec. 31st. But this happened Oct.21st. So i have been home resting it. My question is with workman's comp, do i have to return to my job or may i look for a new one and still be on workman's comp? I would really like to look for something different. But i have thought all this time being home and waiting for MRI that i had to return to this job and be finished with the whole workman;s comp thing. Never been on it, don't know all the in's and out's!

4theloveofTink

Asked by 4theloveofTink at 5:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• The laws vary by state. Here are numbers to the Workers Compensation Board of California. Call them and they will answer all your questions according to the laws in CA.

Worker Hotline
    (866) 924-9757

Public information office
    (415) 703-5070

specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Without knowing the exact laws for your state, I would say that you probably do need to return to work unless your doctor tells you not to. You can also look for another job, but it was my understanding that you can't both work and receive worker's comp.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:23 PM on Dec. 4, 2010