How much will the secruity cost, to protect the Obama family?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• This could be a rumor, but I heard on the Man Cow radio show this morning he has hired his own security and they are black panthers. This could just be a rumor though. I was watching msnbc this morning and there have already been 5 arrests for attempted assassination.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:33 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Why would he hire Black Panthers? I thought he was only half black? Anyways, I am sure it is going to cost a WHOLE lot more than any other President. Didn't he have a bullet proof glass in front of him at his acceptance speech? That can't be cheap to tote around. Yep, this CHANGE is going to be EXPENSIVE!!!
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• angeladh82 - EVERY president has bulletproof glass around them when they speak in public, unless you havent noticed. BTW - how do you know it will cost a WHOLE lot more? Can we please see your research on this?
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 8:54 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• No more that it would cost to protect any other president...Remember how someone flew a small plane into the White House one time? And someone shot Reagan? (And Brady, bless his heart too!) Attempts have been made on just about every Presidents' life, and we should have no problem with wanting to protect our President. I wouldn't have wanted Bush to go unprotected, though I thought he is/was a pretty terrible President-I still don't think anyone should be able to assassinate him. Hell, I'd protect him myself if I could, and I don't much care for him...My father's a republican, and when he and mom lived overlooking all those beautiful monuments (their apt was just outside the Washington DC line) he used to make sick "jokes" about how he could probably "take care of" Clinton from their balcony. Yes, you could see part of the WH from there...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• dragonfly7271- it is just common sense; come on!! Like the first post said, there has already been attempts on his life and many more threats!
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 8:57 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Probably a lot. I wonder if he gets nervous every time he steps on stage. I think no matter what president we have, someone will always make an attempt to kill them.

Alexsmom04

Answer by Alexsmom04 at 9:16 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I think there are alot of assasination attempts with every president. The only thing is, they are going to make this one MUCH more public when it happens cause he's not caucasian. (I hate the term african american. Unless you yourself are from Africa, you are not African american IMO. I don't call myself German american just because my great great great great great great great grandpa came here from Germany. We are all americans. Just Americans.)
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:25 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• No more than it would cost to protect any other president. Why do you assume it would be different? Because he's part black? Protection is protection, regardless of the protectee.
    And angeladh: there's been attempts on many presidents. Kennedy ring a bell? Reagan?
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 9:25 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I read or saw something once that said every single president has always had attempt or plots made on his life. I don't think it will cost any more than any other president. To say that is to imply that not everything is being done already to protect the holder of the highest office in the nation.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:27 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I think it is going to cost more than any other president. In case no one has noticed there are A LOT of people upset he is our new president. As, for Kennedy, um he died so I hope it would cost more to protect our new president, we are going for life not death. I would be a nervous wreck if I was Michelle Obama everytime he stepped on stage. I did not vote for him but I pray for him and his family and hope our government CAN provide him and his beautiful family with the protection they need and deserve.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Nov. 6, 2008