Any tips on getting my one year old sleeping in her own crib at night?

I have enjoyed snuggling and codling my daughter at night in our bed for the last year, but I think that it is time we get her into her own crib. I was hoping I could get some pointers from those of you that waited a prolonged period before having your babies sleep in their own crib. My daughter is now fifteen months and we are still breastfeeding for the time being. Thank you in advance for any advice you can lend me!

Lillybean09

Asked by Lillybean09 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• As long as she is still feeding during the night it will be difficult to get her to be comfortable with sleep away from you. I would wean her first. When she is used to sleeping through the night, it will be easier for her to learn to sleep in her own room. Beginning (now) with naps, try to get her to learn to fall asleep in her room. Once she is comfortable with her bed, in her room, as a place to fall asleep; when she awakens there in the night, it will not be a fearful place and she can easily just go back to sleep there...without assistance/comfort from you.

I know some believe in letting the baby cry until they learn that it will not get them back into your bed. And I know that this method works. But to me (and this is personal preference) it is sad to think of my child frightened (even if for no "real" reason) and calling for me; but finding I will not come.

Good Luck :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 10:48 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My kids had a special teddy bear that they took to bed with them every night which helped them feel snug and secure with something to cuddle while trying to go to sleep. Additionally, I had clock radio that played children's songs to lull them to sleep. The combination of the two helped immensely in getting them off to sleep.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• We had a family bed until my little one was 3.

YES...A FAMILY BED. LOL :-D

We let her ( DD) help decorate a room just for her, and that tempted her into her own bed. She would still come to our room if she got frightened during the night...until she was maybe 6. But as she got older, even those times were very few.

Is your daughter still having a feeding during the night? If so, that will make it more difficult -- something more for her to leave if she isn't in bed with you.

Does she nap alone yet? In her own room? These too will help with the transition to sleeping at night away from you. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 6:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• She is still feeding several times a night. I think it is more a comfort thing now and not a nutritional requirement. I would like to wean her, but I wasn't sure if I should get her sleeping in her own bed first or weaned from breastfeeding? She does nap alone, sometimes in her own room (but most times it seems she could be in a dead sleep until I lay her in her own crib and then she is suddenly awake *sigh*).
    Lillybean09

Comment by Lillybean09 (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• my kids dad got so mad when our 2yr old was sleeping in our bed thats one day when he did not have to work he sat there and put him in his bed and let him cry to sleep i was crying adn he said he will learn to sleep in his bed and it was a hard 2 nights but he is in his own bed now
    Sara_Carter

Answer by Sara_Carter at 10:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2010