Do you think...

That being religious automatically makes decisions on social issues for many people?

For example: Most people ASSume that because I'm atheist, I'm pro-choice. This is untrue, but I get that a lot..

Input Feed Begins:

gabrielle_x

Asked by gabrielle_x at 6:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Being religious makes my decisions personal, not social, because I am neutral to most causes.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 6:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think it depends on the person and the social issue. Many people assume a lot of things about all groups of people, mostly they're wrong.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about different social issues and have come to my decisions after considering many different factors.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My religion has nothing to do with my choices and opinions. I am Catholic and I love gays and support them. So I really dont consider my religion a huge influence on my life. Its there for me to beleive that life is great and that I have something forward to when i die...lol sounds kinda weird saying that but def true
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• yes
    bekkaboo89

Answer by bekkaboo89 at 6:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• maybe for some people...but I'm hoping not for MOST.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Generally? Yes. I think it's mostly because Religions teach moral rules and many have a specific way of thinking taught to their followers. In your case, being Atheist you would fall outside that, but for those who follow organized religion it's usually a given that they would at least agree with the tenets of their faith - if they didn't they would have a different path. So, for example, a JW, who belongs to a religious group which openly and vehemently apposes abortion, wouldn't usually be Pro-Choice. Now, does that mean that 100% of them think this way? No, of course there are those who fall outside the teachings and beliefs of their own faith, but then the question should be is this really a path they belong on?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Well, people probably assume that because I'm a Christian, I'm anti-abortion and a right-wing conservative, all of which would be wrong.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 7:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think it does in many cases, not all, though, in majority, yes.
    If it didn't matter we wouldn't have "God" on our currency and in the "Pledge of Alliegance".
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 8:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think so- not for everyone, but definitely for some
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:05 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• The whole history of human kind is based on some kind of beliefs, and it is still going on, even though we have scientific research and knowledge, that people didn't have in the past and we just don't have the capacity, resources and time to find out everything there is to know and it is hardly possible, because even if we thouth we knew everything the universe keeps changing on its own and there is new stuff to be learned.
    The social issues are based on beliefs, still, so much that I don't think we will see atheist President of the USA for a long time, not in this generation, not gay, or lesbian, African American or Hispanic Lady.
    This is dictated by what religions tell people what is acceptable and what not.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 10:49 AM on Dec. 4, 2010