Does sex speed up pregnancy?

My son is due in February, i was told by a few friends that sex speeds up pregnancy. I had thought they were just joking till i heard it in my parenting class from a few girls and from my boyfriend. my boyfriend had researched it and talked to an online doctor and the doctor said the same thing.... Can sexual activity speed up pregnancy?
If yes, then how does it speed up pregnancy?

mommyrebecca

Asked by mommyrebecca at 6:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It can speed up labor, but it's not going to make your baby grow any faster.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 6:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Um, no. I think what is meant by that is, if your ready enough to give birth it can help cause labor. The sperm can help thin out your cervix or something like that.
    Anonymous

• You could have fun trying :)
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 6:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Speed up pregnancy? Where did you find that term? No, there is no way sex will cause you to go into labor, unless you were ready to go into labor to begin with. There isn't enough prostiglandens in human semen to induce labor. Pregancy takes 40 weeks give or take and baby comes when baby is ready and developed.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• No, but it does speed up your heart rate, so go ride the bull honey!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 6:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• If you are having a good time, time passes more quickly.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• There is a chemical in semen that thins the cervix. That is what I was told. I don't know that it speeds up the pregnancy. When I was ready to have my baby (with only a few weeks left) I was told that sex would help me go into labor. I finally convinced my husband to have sex and the next morning my water broke.
    CarlieJS

Answer by CarlieJS at 6:35 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It speeds up labor sometimes, but not till you're full-term or near full-term. It won't make pregnancy speed up if you're any earlier than that.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 10:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2010