Eye Mart for Kids Glasses?

Our vision insurance only covers frames and lenses every 24 months, even for kids, yes, stupid but no way around it. My 5 year old's prescription changed enough that he needs new lenses this year...his frames are falling apart. He is not eligible for new frames or lenses until January 1st 2012.
My choices are to go through the same eye doctors office I usually do for his glasses, use the warranty on the frames and get the exact same frames (which I hate because they fall apart all the time) and pay for the lenses out of pocket, this would cost $112.
OR go to Eye Mart and pay for new glasses completely out of pocket which would cost $130 for the frames and lenses. (and hope the frames are of better quality)
Both scenarios come with a 1 year warranty on the frames and free adjustments as needed.
I could also go to Pearl Vision where the lenses are free because he is under 14 and get frames for $99 with a 1 year warranty and free adjustments as needed. The problem is the closest one is 18 miles away. I'm anticipating having to go in for many adjustments, this last year we've had to go in sometimes 3 times a week to have his glasses fixed/adjusted so I've nixed Pearl Vision.
Eye Mart is about 7 miles away and the doctor's office is 2 miles away, both are acceptable to me.
My son has worn glasses for 2 years, the first year we had to have his glasses adjusted/fixed maybe 3 times, this last year has been horrible, I do blame the frames because he really hasn't been any more rough on them this year then last year. The frames are the ones you're supposed to be able to flex and bend and them not break, they haven't snapped but they do bend out of shape really easily. His first pair were the same type but a different brand and held up much better. The frames from Eye Mart would not be the flex frames.

goorob

Asked by goorob at 6:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would go to Pearl Vision. I have used Eye Mart in the past for hubby and myself. Both of us got lens that were a little "off" and we have both had frame issues. To me 18 miles really isn't that far and you are likely to get much better quality.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 7:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I would pick the one you are most comfortable with!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 8:10 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Why wouldn't they adjust the Pearl Vision at the Eyemart? Or is that due to the warranty? In the end I suggest that you go with what you are most comfortable with. Unless you plan on going once a week, I think Pearl Vision would still be fine.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Usually they only do adjustment at the place you bought the glasses. My hope is that if I don't get the frames he currently has we won't have to go in for weekly adjustment any more.
    goorob

Comment by goorob (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• www.zennioptical.com is a really cheap place for glasses, too.

texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 5:19 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• www.zennioptical.com has glasses starting at $6.95!!! My brother gets all his glasses from there and swears by it.

texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 5:20 PM on Dec. 5, 2010