What do you think?

“We send these young people into combat. We think they’re mature enough to fight and die. I think they’re mature enough to make a judgment on who they want to serve with and the impact on their battle effectiveness.” ~ John McCain

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• – collapse
    i think it sounds kind psycotic and cold in a way. why doesnt he get out there and fight and die?
    bekkaboo89

Answer by bekkaboo89 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• jmo
    bekkaboo89

Answer by bekkaboo89 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• i think it sounds kind psycotic and cold in a way. why doesnt he get out there and fight and die?

***

Ummm...he DID, and almost DID. Haven't you read about John McCain's military and POW experience?!

http://politics.usnews.com/news/articles/2008/01/28/john-mccain-prisoner-of-war-a-first-person-account.html

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I have never served but do have family members who are officers (or who have retired). I could be totally off base, but it appears that decision making is tightly controlled in the military-lots of following orders, and I totally understand the theory, but it's very different from how many other industries conduct business. Is McCain advocating for input from military members? Really? Miltary operations seem very cookie cutter, much like medicine...In reality, I believe the decisions will be made and implemented without much input from individual members throughout the ranks. I could totally be wrong-just an opinion.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Considering his background, I would think he would know better than I would.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 6:43 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I'd have to see the entire context of the sentence.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Boy, bekkaboo89, you don't know much about history or the Vietnam war do you? You might need to google the USS Forestal and the John McCain + prisoner of war. There is a lot to learn.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 6:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think i understand the sentiment and i think he has good intentions but i kind of think he's got blinders on.

IMO, he's become old, afraid, and out of touch.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 7:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think this was a good response:

"Sec. GATES: I can't think of a single precedent in American history of doing a referendum of the American armed forces on a policy issue. Are you going to ask them if they want 15-month tours? You gonna ask them if they want to be part of the surge in Iraq?"

"MARTIN: Gates says he's confident that with the proper amount of time for training, don't ask don't tell can be repealed without any long-term negative impact. General Carter Ham is the top army commander in Europe and helped lead the review. Today he told senators that repeal can and should happen."

Gate Mullen McCain Transcript

Extensive training and professionalism has helped a lot of racial issues in the military over the years. Why can't it be the same way for repealing DADT?
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Gates: I can't think of a single precedent in American history of doing a referendum of the American armed forces on a policy issue. Are you going to ask them if they want 15-month tours? You gonna ask them if they want to be part of the surge in Iraq?"

Yes, this was the impression I had just from speaking with my family members. Lots of direction given and taken, not much input extracted.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2010