What is Religion?

I'm looking for YOUR definition, not some dictionary quote...

What is religion? And is it something different from person to person or religion to religion?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 6:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• A group of teaching that one follows through out their life as a way of life and in some cases a reason for living. For some it is logical for other it is a blind leap either way there is a faith (even if that faith is in ones self) that keeps it going.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• (that was harder than I though it would be-maybe it's because my kids are yelling)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Religion, IMO, is an established (set) way of cultivating and exercising our faith. It can be useful and meaningful, but isn't absolutely necessary for everyone, as many can find ways to work our their spirituality and connect to the Divine outside of the perimeters of established religion. One's faith can be cultivated completely through religion, partly through it, or completely outside of it, depending on the individual and his/her spiritual needs/personality. :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:03 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• To me (JMO) Religion is only the name that is used to identify a group of ppl and their specific beliefs.
    To me personally it is what lies within your heart and soul towards the Divine of YOUR choosing...
    The content feeling, The complete feeling that what YOU believe to be true is true to YOU...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• A group of people with similar core beliefs coming together to worship together and to give each other support and encouragement.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:12 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• A belief in a higher power(s) who is(are) not bound by the laws of this world.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• This is a good question, because there are many definitions of religions, and most of them end up leaving some groups out.

I think it's generally a set of practices and beliefs common to a group of people, and these usually include some kind of morals or ethics, rituals, shared thoughts, practices, and traditions . It may or may not include worship of something divine (so non-theistic religions can be included in my view).

pam19

Answer by pam19 at 7:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• for me when I hear the word religion... I hear bondage.
    That is just my definition.... there is no freedom in religion
    only freedom in a relationship with Jesus Christ.
    That is keeping it simple definition wise :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You are going to get a lot of different answer on this. Many people see religion as something negative. I think it is a set of guidelines that help us to live out our faith.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 11:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• To me religion is the perversion of faith. Faith can take many forms, but religion brings politics and rules into the very personal thing that is faith.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 4, 2010