Dryer balls?

Has anyone used them? What do they do exactly?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 7:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I completely disagree... My parents used to own a laundromat that offered wash, dry & fold service a few years before commercial dryer balls were available (at least that I was aware of).
    They used to buy a tube of tennis balls and a bag of tube socks and they'd slip a tennis ball in a tube sock and tie it off and would throw 2 or 3 of these "dryer balls" in each load. They'd also purchase cheap sneakers at payless and tie one of those in a sock and use it the same way. The balls and/or sneakers in socks would help everything dry faster but the best benefit was that they'd keep things moving around and loads of towels, sheets and/or blankets from getting all balled up and having some parts super hot and dry while others were just warm and wet.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 12:20 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I prefer them the to sweatier kind
    Anonymous

• First off,they make your clothes smell like plastic. They get REALLY hot in the dryer and if you touch one you risk a burn. I speak from experience
    They make the clothes not stick together. You can get the same effect with a couple of tennis balls

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• That's all they do? I read about them in some article about things that pay for themselves quickly, but it didn't really give any detail.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 7:35 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Plus they fall apart easily- not a fan.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I just use new tennis balls that I toss in my dryer with the towels & blankets, etc. They fluff your stuff & help to move things around so that they dry faster. Because things dry faster, you use less energy to dry them, which saves you money.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2010