• In the Spotlight:

Leg cramps

Is anyone else having leg cramps in the middle of the night? They are bad enough to wake me up, is this normal?

gerti

Asked by gerti at 8:54 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Its normal. I had them. They stink!
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 9:01 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Typically legs cramps are a sign of low potassium. Try to eat some bananas and see if this helps. Good luck
    ljliammama

Answer by ljliammama at 10:37 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• It's very normal. Try more potassium. I would eat a banana before bed and that would keep it from happening. Mine got so bad that they would leave my legs sore for a few days.

I have also heard that it can be from a lack of calcium. But for me it was definitely potassium.
    01buckler15

Answer by 01buckler15 at 10:39 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Im having them ... 29wks. I hae tried bananas, potatoes , anything with a good source of potassium. Still not helping, my doc said to try take a luke warm bath before bed and stretch that muscle. That helps me sometimes. Then he said to have my husband massage them while we are watching tv (helping a lil not too much). He aslo said to try a heating pad. So I've done all of that and still getting them. I called yesterday and he said the only other thing to do is to try to stay off your feet as much as you can during the day. So now I am going to see if that helps , if not I guess I have 11wks to deal with it. But I do know what you are talking about and they are HORRIBLE. Sometimes mine are so bad I wake up and start crying. So GL hopefully maybe one of these things will you help you since everyone's body is different.
    Babyclark08

Answer by Babyclark08 at 10:41 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Also a sign of dehydration. You should be drinking 16-20 glasses of water daily and peeing once every hour. I had them twice during my first pregnancy and never again after I stayed hydrated.
    CNLueck

Answer by CNLueck at 11:11 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• About massaging - you should massage (or have DH massage) affected area while it is cramping to make the cramp go away more quickly.

About heating pad - heat will inflame unless you use ice first, then heat, then ice again (20 mins each).
    CNLueck

Answer by CNLueck at 11:13 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• thanks everyone!
    gerti

Answer by gerti at 11:53 AM on Nov. 6, 2008