how would i go about getting christmas helpfor my family?

my dad just went threw a devorse and all of our christmas money went to the lawyer. he had to pay her over 7000 and he still owes he more.. i have 2 kids that live with me and 2 step kids that are over just about every day. and they will be here on christmas. i live with my dad and my kids dad is in iraq. i dont want the kids to think they are left out . i livewith 2 brothers and 1 sister as well as my dad

onegoober

Asked by onegoober at 9:01 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in General Parenting

• Try toys for tots, maybe salvation army. Sorry can't think of anything else right now.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 9:16 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• ...Calling churches can help you alot, they will even give you a thanksgiving basket, for the upcoming holiday and they will indeed give you a list, for the xmas helper's in your local area,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 9:21 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I have been looking in shops good will-consignment-thrift stores-depending on what you find your child would never no where you got it at.I found 11 pair of nice look like new jeans for my daughters.They will never no where they came from .They look like new.Be selective.Its a good way to shop an spend less money.You will be suprised what you can find.Ask when they put out more stuff they will gladly tell you.It can be fun to see what treasures you find
    fearful5

Answer by fearful5 at 11:57 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Great job moms. All these places should be able to help you. I know I've gotten help from Toys Tots (3-4 yrs. ago) and Salvation Army (last year and this year) and I was surprised by the things my kids got as well as many.

LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I'd sign up all the kids for angel tree.And thank your husband from me.And I hope Obama gets them all home soon.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 12:14 PM on Nov. 6, 2008

• This is what I do for a living :)
    Start with the Red Cross. They should have a listing of who's doinbg what in your area. Then do an internet search for "Adopt a family" ot "holiday help" and your city. Keep the quotes there- they help.
    Salvation Army generally gives about 2-3 gifts per child.
    Toys for Tots does only one per child.
    If you can find an Adopt A Family program, they tend to offer a lot more help.
    Community centers can also offer programs sometimes.
    If you are a member of a church, ask them too.
    Another trick is to find a place that has a food bank or offers GED classes and ask them.
    Good luck!
    emhain

Answer by emhain at 3:20 PM on Nov. 6, 2008