Do you refer to your SO as your spouse?

I went to the Doctor with my Boyfriend last week and when the doctor asked me our relationship I told him I was his girlfriend. Last night my boyfriend told me on the paper work for the doctor he refered to me as wife. (Now I know why the Doctor looked at me funny) He told me his co-workers also think that I'm his wife. We have plans to be married but it makes me feel funny to know that hes already telling people were married when its not true. Am I over reacting?

CKasting

Asked by CKasting at 7:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• I've been calling my fiance my husband for 3yrs and he calls me his wife as well. LOL
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I don't but I don't think differently of those who do.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I'm married, so I've always called him my hubby. But,the other day at the doctor's office, I was nervous,and actually called him my DH (you know,what we refer to hubbys on here as). The girl behind the desk asked me "who's DH?" LOL. I had to explain to her what I meant.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 8:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• What's the difference? If you're living together, you are LIVING as husband and wife, just without the legal paperwork to back it up. Depending on what state you are in, you may already be what's considered "common law" husband and wife. So why does it matter what title you have? You still see each other the same way, and others obviously see you as partners.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I suppose I'm hypocritically old fashioned and believe in the piece of paper. I'm still married to my ex? husband (for financial reasons)and all though we are living our lives together I do not see it as committed until I have the legally binding contract.

CKasting

Comment by CKasting (original poster) at 8:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Yeah, I'm more old-fashioned, I guess. You earn the title when you sign those papers.... it actually irritates me when I see my friends call their boyfriends that. To me it's making less of "marriage." I am committed and have proved it to my family, friends, and even strangers. It's like a 20 year old walking up to a bar and saying they are 21 because 21 years ago they were conceived... If you call each other that, then maybe it's time to gather those papers....
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 8:34 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• he may be trying to offer up some dignity to the relationship and to you or even to himself.

he may feel like people view co habitation as a bad thing.. or maybe he really thinks you are his wifeLOL.

i know alot of people who call their s/o wife or husband knowing full well they aren't married nor even live together.

i think some folks just like it that way and in some culturals it's perfectly acceptable.

Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 2:38 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Yeah, probably overreacting. Not married to my Sweetheart, would very much like to be. He always refers to meas his girlfriend but a couple of times as his wife - I loved it.
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 5:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2010