Hypothyroid sufferers: Did your TSH level change?

I ended up with an underactive thyroid after my first pregnancy. I found out that this is actually kind of common. I just had my second child and got my blood drawn today to check my levels.

Did anyone have their TSH levels go down (your condition get worse) after your second child? Just curious until I get my results.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Health

• Mine stayed about the same after the first. It wasn't until almost 20 yrs later I needed to start taking synthroid to raise it. The Dr. saisd it was just age and nothing to do with the previous drops during pregnancy.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Mine went crazy after my daughter was born. I had a TSH of 37 and the rest of the panel was also showing a low thyroid. My levels improved after my son was born and I don't need meds anymore. I had a classic case of postpartum thyroiditis.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I found out about mine after my 3rd baby. I couldn't lose weight, was always tired, hair, skin and nails looked awful. And, then, my right breast start swelling really bad. My doctor sent me to a breast specialist, who found the Hypothyroidism. She said my breast swelled because the thyroid gland is on that side. Yes, my levels fluctuated a lot at first. It's been several years, though. In fact, I got my diagnosis the day before Princess Diana died. Rotten way to remember. Your hormones are all out of whack anyway, having a baby,and your levels will probably be so till everything settles back down. Best wishes, and take care!
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 8:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• OP here: I've been taking Synthroid since I had my first four years ago (I was 21 at the time), so unfortunately mine won't get better. Izsarejaman, you are so lucky!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It took 3 years for it to get back to normal. I was diagnosed in January of 2006 and taken off synthroid in 2009 when I reached the lowest dose possible and it was still too much. The doctor did a 6 month trial of no meds and it's been fine since. I do feel fortunate because I felt horrible before I started treatment. My November 14th TSH was 2.5.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:15 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

Answer by cbk_mom3 7 minutes
    ----------------------------------
    You THYROID gland is in your neck. I think you misunderstood your Doctor.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 8:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• nope, but heres a bump
    asil

Answer by asil at 3:57 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I'm also a hypothyroid victim and my TSH levels are very high .. I have felt so tired all the time but when porcine thyroid came into my life, it lessened my symptoms and worries.

Frankysmokes

Answer by Frankysmokes at 9:29 PM on May. 30, 2011