3 year old wandering the halls at night...

she pretends to be sleeping or she wakes up I'm not sure which and sneaks out of her room after DH and I go to our room. We can even be awake and never hear her. She gets into stuff especially food. cereal, bread, candy... Anyway we tried a baby gate but the pressure ones she took down and the screw ones she climbs over... so ... we turned her knob around so she can be locked in. DH unlocks i when he goes to bed around 11pm... sometimes it stays locked all night until 5:30 am.... so far no more issues... Is it bad to lock her in? Is there a better I dea? I am sure she is not sleep walking.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• We've never allowed our son (now 3.5 yrs) to get out of his room at night. If there were to be an emergency, I want to know exactly where to find him! I'd never trust him to keep out of trouble if he could roam the house. We use a doorknob protector that allows us to open the door but not him. Your solution accomplishes the same thing. As long as you can easily get into the room in an emergency, stick with the current approach. It's far safer. (I'm sure someone else will point out "what if a fire started in his room and he was trapped" but we've eliminated all possible hazards in his room (only 2 things are even plugged in in his room and he can't get to either). I'll take my chance with this low risk.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:29 PM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Ehhh I don't really think she should be locked in... BUMP
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Maybe she needs a later bedtime?
    ddbz

Answer by ddbz at 8:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• She goes to bed at 8 but she is up at 6:00 in the morning for 'daycare'
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Wow - that's rough. She really should be sleeping through.
    ddbz

Answer by ddbz at 8:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Yes... I don't think you should lock her in .

Maybe you could wait at her door, maybe try it out one night..

Put her to bed , then "Act" like your going to bed and wait. See what happens.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 8:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Have you talked with her doctor about this? She might have some sort of sleep issues, like night terrors or nightmares or a really low level of melatonin....they may want to do a sleep study on her...
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 9:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I have safety locks inside my kids rooms they are 1 and 4 We can get in they can not get out. they know to yell for me if they need me during the nihgt. it's for safety we have a narrow hallway upstairs and in the dark if you are not watching you can fall down the stairs.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 10:27 PM on Dec. 3, 2010