Offensive Religions?

I'm a Christian but I'm curious, is it Christ that offends or is it Christians? Are there any other "religions" that anyone feels that is as offensive to people?

CKasting

Asked by CKasting at 9:00 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I suspect it varies with the individual offended... because taking offense is a result of a personal desire to be offended, no one else.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:03 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Jesus had an interesting philosophy, and that I have respect for. Common goodwill toward mankind. However, what the church (remember, where 2 or more are gathered) has turned those simplistic, compassionate ideals into is obscene.
    Their focus is not on what they do while they are living, but what they will be entitled to in the afterlife (which, by they way, doesn't exist.) So rather than being kind, compassionate, empathetic individuals who are willing to serve their fellow man, they turn into beasts spouting rubbish about burning in the lake of fire. Sick. Truly sick.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:04 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I find the whole idea of religion offensive.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I don't think ANY religion is offensive, I think hypocritical, judgmental, holier than thou people are offensive. But, definatley not a religion in general.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• i think its religion , because its man made
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think it depends where you live. If I lived in Israel, Pakistan, or India I'm sure it's the same experience but the majority is a different mix so the stereotypes shift to a different group. You have loving good people and obnoxious overbearing people no matter where you live, across all religious and cultural lines.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 9:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." ~Gandhi

I think that sums it up pretty well as far as the Christian thing. Most days on CM I'm ashamed to associate with some of the Christians on here. Most days on CM I'm told I'm not Christian because of the way I practice.

Islam is another one people find offensive. Strangely, Christians seem to be most outspoken about that one. Most Pagan practices are also deemed offensive to many Christians.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• @Ihartu and letstalk747; Would you care to elaborate I'm curious.
    CKasting

Comment by CKasting (original poster) at 9:10 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think real radicals who shove their religious beliefs on you while completely disrespecting yours are offensive. I am a Modern Deist, and somehow manage to get total a**holes from both the radical Christian and what I can only call the "radical atheist" factions jumping down my throat to tell me how stupid, ignorant, and blind I am for a) not believing in The One True Word of The One True God aka the Bible, or b) having been brainwashed to believe in something as silly as a supernatural being up in the sky watching us. I am not offended by the Christian religion or by atheism- I just wish these people would leave me alone! I am extremely secure in what I believe and don't go around trying to convince others to believe like me. Wish others could have the same respect!
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 9:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Jesus is hardly offensive! I find him rather inspirational, much like Ghandi, John Lennon, Mother Theresa, etc. SOMEtimes the followers (or proclaimed followers) of Jesus I find very offensive.
    It seems to me, that they have gotten WAY off the path of love and peace...forgiveness and tolerance. And become too wrapped up in judgement and condemnation of others.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 3, 2010