Have you ever had a meltdown over something you know seemed silly to other people?

(I put this under "Just For Fun" because there isn't a "Crazy Things We Women Do" category.)

All I wanted to do today was make a cake decorated to resemble a carasouel for my daughter's 2nd birthday party tomorrow. Usually, I am a good baker and cake decorator. Usually, I really enjoy it. Today, however, I have made three cakes and 24 cupcakes, and only the cupcakes and the last small cake remain. The second cake actually made it to the decorating process, but when I finished it looked....stupid. I tried to tell myself the too-big-for-the-cake plastic animals and the badly smudged icing trim looked "silly" or "ridiculous" in an attempt to lighten my mood, but the thing really did just look "stupid". I then made the mistake of continuing to try and fix it, which of course made matters worse as the icing was already stiffening. So, being the rational person I am, I picked up the nearest utensil and stabbed the lopesided cake to death. My husband looked positively frightened. I am sure a normal person would have just gone out and bought a cake after that (or even after the first one failed work) but my family knows I bake, so by damn I was going to bake. Now, all I can think about is how much money and resources (about 12 were wasted today, for instance) I completely wasted today, and about how there will be only plainly frosted confections at Lucy's party tomorrow. I know my husband and anyone else who finds out about my actions today will think me neurotic and ridiculous (and maybe they are right), but to me this all matters a great deal. Please tell me there is at least one other woman out there who understands this?

KarmicChild

Asked by KarmicChild at 9:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You're displaying your disdain for ineptitude... and your fear of mistakes.

Everyone gets frustrated, and what they get frustrated about is often a total shock (or seriously funny) to others.

You have only wasted your day if you don't learn anything from this.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Does your self esteem hang precariously in balance over your baking skills or is something else bothering you?
    Anonymous

• @Anonymous:

I failed to mention in my above description that I am also manic depressive. I think it's safe to say today was one of the "bad" manic days.
    KarmicChild

Comment by KarmicChild (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Oh :(. Well, I'm really sorry your cake didn't turn out after all your hard work, that really does suck.
    Anonymous

• That actually sounds like something I would have done, and my fiancee would really have laughed at me. When I do something I aim to make it as good as I can which really leaves me frustrated a lot of the time, but yes I normally will stab a cake, or break a cookie, or even throw something of a non food kind just because it irritated me. Obviously I will then laugh it off and start over, or cry for a bit.
    sandrab2011

Answer by sandrab2011 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 3, 2010