Just to set the record straight. . . (or at least to wait until the full story is known or confirmed)

In spite of the sensational story that "Pro-Abort" (sic) people vandalized the home of anti-abortionist activists Joseph and Ann Scheidler in Chicago, here's an different account of the story that takes the exciting spin out of the story (the one posted earlier is from a pro-life blog). Maybe it wasn't a hate-crime, after all.  From the Chicago Sun-Times:

Vandals target anti-abortionist

EDGEBROOK | Bricks thrown through windows of home

December 3, 2010

Someone hurled bricks into the home of longtime anti-abortion activist Joseph Scheidler early Thursday, smashing windows and leaving behind an angry note.

Scheidler, head of the Chicago-based Pro-Life Action League, said the bricks broke the dining room and living room windows of his North Leroy Avenue home.

He and his wife, Ann, heard a noise about 2 a.m., but discovered the damage after they woke up Thursday morning, he said.

Scheidler said the note, addressed to him and containing abortion-rights language, was included in a sack containing one of the bricks.

"We're used to vandalism, but we'd never had anything like this," said Ann Scheidler, vice president of the Action League. The home's garage and porch have been spray-painted in the past, she said.

Police confirmed that officers responded to the home for the broken windows Thursday morning. But police said there is no indication it was a hate crime.

Police are investigating it as a criminal damage to property report.

But Scheidler thinks it is more than that. The note, interspersed with profanity, says the author will "destroy your sexist ideas." It also read: "I've had an abortion and no laws could ever stop me."

"It is ironic that the same group of people who accuse us of intimidation and violence are engaging in that same behavior," Ann Scheidler said.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 9:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Why would it be a hate crime anyway?

I didn't see the earlier post.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• LOL. Thanks for the piece of propaganda trash. Try again. It was as much a hate crime against people who stand up for those who can't stand up for themselves, just as much as any other hate crime.
    Anonymous

• Doesn't "set any record straight" far as I can tell. I actually agree with the anon, it is trash. I can guarantee, if it were the other way around, you'd be yelling as loud as you could, to anyone who'd stand still long enough about how those "awful, pro-lifers" perpetrated a hate crime on whatever poor put upon pro-choicers group it would be.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• hmm...killing a doctor/bombing clinics or throwing bricks thru windows/spray painting windows in the dead of the night. both are pretty stupid and extreme and both make each side look stupid, but then nobody got hurt or died in the brick throwing. still seems the pro-lifers have the upper hand on the crazy wacked out violence extremists.

and pretty much every crime against another is a hate crime imo...you dont do stuff like that without hating someone/thing.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:44 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• "Pro-lifers" are the ones killing doctors. Tell me, how is that pro-life?
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• but then nobody got hurt or died in the brick throwing

That doesn't make it right. Suppose their child, or grandchild had been in front of that window? And, HAD been hurt, or God forbid, worse? Would it be worse then? Or would it still be taken lightly because it happened to pro-lifers? My guess is you would still take it very lightly.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Go read the replies here http://www.cafemom.com/answers/661547/What_Makes_Pro_Abort_People_Attack

Strangely sounds like the ladies think it's justifed that these people's home got vandalized.Someone also could have been injured by those bricks or the flying glass particles.No big deal though at least they didn' BOMB the house! (sarcasm) Right?

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 9:48 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• tnm, you hit the nail on the head! I agree 100%. You said what I was trying to convey much better than I could have.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 9:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

And, "pro-choicers" are the ones murdering babies.
    Anonymous

• This was wrong and extreme, I do not condone any violence unless it is self defense and this obviously wasn't. I feel pretty secure saying that whoever did this doesn't represent all pro-choice advocates.

I don't understand why the police are so casual considering the note that was found, unless that's just another pro-lifer myth.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 9:53 PM on Dec. 3, 2010