Have you ever felt the need to compromise your values, apologize for your beliefs, or back away from what you know is right, regardless of what side you are on, on any subject, just to "fit in?"

When you take a stand about something, and know it's what's right for you,and feel you would be betraying yourself to compromise it, just to go along with the crowd, yet you feel so beaten down, and weary from defending yourself, it's just as easy, would you do that, or would you stand your ground?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Stand my ground.... I am not a doormat :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• my bestfriend is agnostic. and just really dislikes religion. it bothers me yes, and I don't push her on it, but sometimes she complains if i play christian music in the car... i mean she isn't disrespectful to me, most of the time. she just does'nt believe waht i believe and sometimes i find myself changing the radio station when i pick her up, just to avoid the tense feeling in the car :/
    but i dont deny God in front of her, she knows full well where I stand on it lol
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 9:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I have some pretty strong beliefs, opinions, and feelings that are mine. I will not compromise them, however I will tone them down while at work, running my business, and in someone elses home.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I've never been the type that 'fit in". My ideas and way of thinking have always been "different" for some reason. Ever since I was young I always stood my ground for who I am. My inner voice is very strong...and I never, ever compromise what i truly believe in my heart.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Nope. My mom taught me from a very early age to always voice my beliefs and opinions when asked. I've always stayed true to that. If someone doesn't like me for who I am, fine, but I won't change for them. I don't force my beliefs on anyone, but I won't lie either.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• depends on what i would have to compromise to fit in. the major parts of my faith (belief in God etc) i would never deny to "fit in"...but to keep the peace i will forgo bringing up how i feel about things that i know the majority of my family disagree with. i usually say nothing or just leave the room...i really hate confrontation. but to total strangers i tell it like it is b/c i could care less about keeping good ties with them haha.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• To "fit in"? No, that's pretty trite and trivial. I doubt you'll find anyone who does that. To maintain an income and their family's safety, that's a different question completely.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You know the thing about values and opinions, they are only your and most times...no one else really wants to hear them.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 9:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• stand my ground
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 9:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Shaneagle, you make a very good point. I saw another lady just last night telling an atheist she was no doormat.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2010