What would you do, if you saw someone beating their child?

I was out to dinner with my MIL and took my two year old to the bathroom. As we were washing our hands, this woman drags her child (screaming "Please no Mommy!!") into the bathroom and starts not just spanking, but BEATING the crap out of her little boy - maybe three years old. Just his butt, yet still, it's not right to be hitting a child as hard as you possibly can over and over again. She was NOT stopping.
I took my little girl and walked out to the register, told the people there including a manager, that there was some woman beating her kid in the restroom. They just stand there and say "Oh that's so terrible!" and stare at me! I don't own a cell phone or I would have called the cops myself. I figured they would want to do something about child abuse happening in their restaurant bathroom.
What would you have done? Would it be better to just ignore it? Am I wrong in thinking that the manager of the restaurant, at least, should have tried to do something about it?

FluffyMamaBunny

Asked by FluffyMamaBunny at 9:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would have called the cops. If she wasn't justified in her "discipline" then child services/the cops will clear it up as just an understanding. but iw ould rather cal and let them investigate to make sure the child is safe at home.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 9:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• lol how is that hard to believe @shouldhaveleft. 1. some people cant afford it 2.people raised children for billions of years without cellphones, its not a must have.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 9:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I would have stopped her and taken the kid to the register with me.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 10:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• you dont need a cellphone. its a good idea to have one, but youre not crazy if you dont have one
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:07 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Whaaaat?! That poor child. If it was as bad as your saying I would have asked the manager if they had a phone i could use & then call the cops.
    iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 9:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I would have called the police, and I probably would have yelled at the woman to stop abusing her child. Spanking is one thing, but abuse is another. That is SO sad!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:06 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• If it wasn't just a whop on the butt, I would have made a phone call. Sounds like someone doesn't have control.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I've got a small child & I don't have a cell phone. Don't need 1. If I break down, some1 will b by shortly that can help me. Where I live u don't to much have 2 worry about some1 bothering u cause everbody knows everybody else. Besides her question had nothing 2 do with a stupid cell phone. She's talking about a small child getting beaten & ur worried about a stinkn cell phone. REALLY? I would however tore n to her ass about what she was doing & then proceded 2 call the police. There's a difference in a spanking & a beatin. There's no call 4 that.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• amy197...yeah...I am worried about her not having a cell phone...you may live in a little town where everyone is friendly and kind but in the real world...you don't ask people that stop when your broken down for help...in a large city, that's how you get killed and my ultimate point was, had she had a cell phone, she could have done something right then and there without hesitation. And about her tearing the lady a new ass, someone that nuts enough to beat their child in public, don't you think she would have turned on her too? Plus she had her child in tow...I wouldn't have put my kid in jeopardy no more than she did and doing so would then have made her an irresponsible parent.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• That's right, I don't have a cell phone. OMG. Because we all know it's just impossible to live without one. What does that have to do with anything?
    FluffyMamaBunny

Comment by FluffyMamaBunny (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Dec. 3, 2010