young children being diagnosed as Bi Polar

So I"m super hypocondrical ok lol webmd is my fave. PLUS I'm a single young, first time mom of twin 1 year old boys.

this is not a good combonation lol

right so. I'm bi polar, I was diagnosed a few years ago when i finally started seeing a counsler. it's pretty obvious that i was bipolar growing up, i mean I wont go into the entire story but its super obvious that i was and I know that young kids are diagnosed with bipolar sometimes

i learned recently that if you are bipolar your kids have a really high risk of being bipolar also

so one of my sons has been throwing these horrible fits lately and I KNOW its normal for toddlers to throw tantrums but when is it time to worry?

he starts screaming. he looses like, any facial expression, it just goes blank, he screams and screams, its barely even crying its just screaming, his eyes just look so different when hes doing this it is so scary and so, heart renching. he will walk to you and just go limp and fall to the floor and he hits his head a bunch of times during these episodes. he is unconsoleble... literally. if you pick him up it makes him mad. if you put him down it makes him mad. and it goes on for 20 minutes or so.

is this normal?
when should i worry?
what should I look for?
thanks

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 9:50 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• see a professional with him SOON , it can be various things and more than one thing.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 9:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• oh really. in what part of my post did i mention that i wanted to medicate my child? godforbid im concerned for him. godforbid i want him to grow up feeling the way i did.
    you dont know how much work i do or do not put into rasing my children.
    your statement is invalid, go away.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 10:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I posted it for advice, quit being a child.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 10:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• what part of any of what you are saying do you find to be helpful? if you dont have something worth while to say why are you talking.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 10:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• 1. idk how a child having a disorder makes it easier for a parent.
    2. I'm taking this seriously because I take all aspects of my post, seriously.
    3. idk how I'm being rude, "i posted my opinion" "deal with it"
    4. personally attacking me doesn't make you right
    5. I said nothing about expecting them to have the same temperment.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• why are you taking this so seriously
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• given your history of bi-polar, I would take the twins in for a looksee...with a counselor who is familiar with behavioral problems and such....my neice was dx bi-polar at age 5 so yes they can have it young....it actually skipped a generation with her....keep a journal of his behavior,see if there are triggers or cycles he goes through. and good luck!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• @michaux thanks! I think I'm over reacting and jumping to conclusions because hes so young. Its just something I worry about. I think I'm just super scared of them having it since I heard that statistic, I just feel so so sad when I think about them ever havin to feel the way I felt growing up. it would devestate me. but a journal is a good idea, I"m going to do that !
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 11:02 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I deal with three specail needs children who are on meds but only during the schools year and only on school days my babies have a rare disorder as well as pollus on there colon and gi track so be it if you need meds for you or ur child we do whats best for them I travel all over the state for mine deal and move on
    butterflysmom

Answer by butterflysmom at 8:17 AM on Dec. 4, 2010