Adult ear infection. What can I do right now? Without a doctor?

My left ear will be a full blown earache in about and hour. I can tell. I have to work at both jobs starting at seven in the morning so I can't go anywhere. I have some ammoxicillin I can take, but I just don't want to be up all night with the pressure in my ear. What can I do?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Health

• What I do to help with the pressure is mix some distilled water with peroxide and warm it in the microwave (not too hot or it will hurt!) I get a medicine dropper & put a little bit in my ear, then put a cotton ball in it loosely... my doc recommended this to me since I get ear infections frequently. The warmth helps with the pain & the peroxide starts working on the infection. Use equal amounts of water & peroxide, & pull the outside of your ear up & back after you put the drops in; this lets them go in farther. Hugs doll hope you get some sleep!
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 10:25 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• oh yea, i wouldn't take the amoxil unless i had enough for a complete round of it...cuz taking just enough to make the pain go away can actually cause the infection to be worse in the long run, because not all the bacteria are going to be killed.
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 10:18 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Make sure you don't sleep on that ear. I don't know what else to tell you.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 10:11 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• a few drops of slightly warm olive oil might help.
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 10:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• if you can i would really try to see a doctor soon. ear infections can cause damage to your ear drum. you DO NOT want your ear drum to burst omg its painful :p
    also you could loose some hearing from it... depending on the damage
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 10:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I have a full thing of it. Not just left overs. It's brand new.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I know, I already lost hearing in my left ear. I have chronic infections. All they do is give me antibiotics and send me home. I have the right meds. I just want some relief from the pressure.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Dec. 3, 2010