Which is better and why? Tag Reader or Vtech reading system?

I want to buy something that will help my daughter with reading skills and that will be fun for her. :)

I want something that will be easy to use and the more inexpensive option when buying more books and supplies for it.

I want something that will not easily get messed up.

She is 5 but very smart and mature for her age.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 10:09 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Shopping

• Ive never heard of Bugsby... and the Vtech reader wasnt out at the time... But my dd got the Tag reader when she was 3 & its still her favorite toy at 4yo. Its a "tough" toy! I cringe all the time because it seems every time she takes it to the grocery store she drops it from the buggy at least twice!
    I love Tag because your child can read the books with the tag.. or a parent can read the book without tag, and as child learns to read, the tag can be used less & less (just to help with difficult words). For a trip to the store the tag & book can come in the car & then ur child can leave the book in the car & finish listening to the book just with the tag while u shop. each book has mini games that have 3 levels so as ur kid gets better the games can get harder. U can hook the tag to ur computer & see how your child is learning..
    There are 2 book sets that are made specifically for learning to read. We love leapfrog!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:25 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• How about a library card??? it's free....there are also tons of free online sites (sesame street, nick jr, noggin. pbskids, wiggles, thomas just to name a few) that offer fun and educational games. I also used the JumpStart PC programs--they are like $9 at most stores and go from pre-school on up.
    connorsmom1970

Answer by connorsmom1970 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• ...have you checked out Leapfrogs DVD's? They are great! My dd learned her phonics in about 1 week after watching Letter factory.. Word factory is really good too, but we have only watched it once when we got it so she hasnt learned anything from it..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:28 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Vtech
    kewi86

Answer by kewi86 at 9:34 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Vtech Bugsby is AWESOME we took our then 2.5 year old to try out both and she liked Bugsby bettter. She is now 4 and still LOVES it. Also connorsmom1970 has good ideas as well. We mainly use the Bugsby in the van when we are on the go.
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 10:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• She has a library card. I want to buy her one of the two systems I mentioned which is why I asked about them specifically, thank you.

baby1love, Thank you for answering the question at hand.
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 11:19 PM on Dec. 3, 2010