Just venting...SIL

My husband's brother's wife is a procrastinator who is perpetually late to everything. I've never known her to be on time (ok, maybe once or twice for her massage appointments). She and her husband are supposed to be away tomorrow and needed my help to babysit her two children. I called her earlier the week and last night to inquire about the specific time, drop-off/pick-up time, etc. so I can plan some special activities for them. She never returned my call until just now (yes, at 10pm the night before!). And my idioit husband actually offered if her kids want to spend the night, they are welcome. I am soooo freaking annoyed. Obviously I would never take it out on the kids, but I am done with putting up with her behavior. It makes it hard for me to plan things in the future and include her kids. I am a super-organized person (probably a bit much, I can admit), but if she's asking for MY help, she needs to get with my program. Don't you ladies agree?

Olivia4116

Asked by Olivia4116 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• I would start telling her what time she needs to be by to pick the kids up.

since,she is asking for you to help them out, she needs to be sensitive to your schedule. If she cannot keep it, in the future,let her know that you will not be watching them.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• yeah just be honest with her tell her that your schedule needs to be met that they need to be pick up & drop off at a certain time & if she is not ok with that that you cant watch them any more
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I think you are over reacting. I am sure it is some inconvenience sure, but this is family first of all. Second, you had an inkling that her children might be coming over so it shouldn't have been a complete shock to your system, even if it was late notice. I think that she should have contacted you earlier, sure, but I think she is not as organized or as perfect as you. I am guessing that you might not take it out on the kids, but you sure will find a way to let her know you have been inconvenienced and you really just need to speak up or let this go. She probably is not going to change much.

So, if you don't want to do it, call her or have hubby call her and politely decline. You can always tell her that because of her late notice, you have already made other plans. Plain and simple!
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 10:29 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• girls, you are harsh on me tonight. All I needed to hear was "I hear you or I feel your pain", but I still appreciate the candid feedback. It gets me back to a good place...(althought sometimes I prefer a ranting bxtch b/c it feels better). Clearly my SIL is not changing her way, neither am I. We are just too old and stubborn. My practical solution is "lower my expectation".
    Olivia4116

Comment by Olivia4116 (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2010