How in the world can I clean these cake pans?

My grandmother's house flooded a few years ago, and my family is still trying to repair and clean it. I was recenly entrusted with her cake pan collection (she is an amazing cake decorator), which are all those fantastic aluminum Wilton brand shape and fluted pans. Most of them cleaned up easily, but there are two sets of fluted pans (pans of the same shape, in various sizes) that I fear may be beyond repair. What I thought was a layer of dried mud turned out to be the actual color and texture of the inside of the pans. They are discolored and very rough, basically. Does anyone know of a method that might get them in working order again?

KarmicChild

Asked by KarmicChild at 10:16 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• If you try soaking them in CLR, depending on the size you might need a lot and a large sink or something to put them in, use a wire brush or a rough bristled cleaning brush and scrub em really good every hour or so and see if it starts to come off, if it takes more than a few hours of soaking and scrubbing then they probably aren't going to be any good anymore. I had some spoons I tried to save but the rust and discoloration went right through the metal and they were unusable and I soaked them for days with no results. If you can get them smooth and rust free the discoloration doesn't matter.
    sandrab2011

Answer by sandrab2011 at 10:40 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Gog, I hate aluminum pans. They oxidize too easily. Use a mild abrasive to clean it, and then very promptly dry them. I would start with a plastic green scrubby, and if all else fails *gently* buff with steel wool. Should come right off.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Thank you so much! I will certainly try this. I generally try to keep a chemical-free home, but I am willing to try just about anything (within reason) to avoid sending those cake pans out with the garbage. My grandmother's baking and decorating supplies have become part of our family tradition in a way.
    KarmicChild

Comment by KarmicChild (original poster) at 10:44 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Sadly, if they've been eaten away (by rough, do you meat pitted? if yes, they've been eaten away at by something), there is no fixing them, unless you're really good with forming tin foil to all the nooks and crannies every time a pan is used. I've had to throw out a couple of pans for the same reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• gl x
    san78

Answer by san78 at 3:18 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• If they've been eaten away, I don't think there's anything you can do. Good luck!
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 10:37 PM on Dec. 5, 2010