how do you stop your two year old from lying??

"he thinks its funny"

kiya_ma

Asked by kiya_ma at 10:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree about not being able to understand lying. I think that not telling the truth could be a game they play, or like my daughter, sometimes she like to do the opposite. "Go get your shirt" and she brings back pants while giggling, or I'll ask her to sit down and she'll jump up. I just correct her and say something like, "that's not your shirt silly girl! Go get the shirt." and she'll get it. Or "mommy asked you to sit down, not jump up. I need you to sit now (with a stern voice) and she'll do it. I would just correct him when he is "inaccurate".
    sandrizzle

Answer by sandrizzle at 11:47 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• He doesn't understand what lying is. Help him get back on track. Correct him when he says the wrong thing. Don't get upset over it. Just be calm and correct him

Answer by admckenzie at 10:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Tell him when he's been caught and that it is NOT ok to tell you lies. But leave it at that. He probably just thinks he's teasing the way you probably tease him.
    Curllyq

Answer by Curllyq at 10:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• He doesnt really understand what lying is at that point. half the time he's prolly just listening to your tone of voice without hearing the words and responding. Like if i ask my son if he finished his cereal and he says yes. He doesn't understand that he's lying to me.. he's just answering with the *right* answer. I agree with the other reply. Just correct him. Liek in my situation i go over and tell him, no, you didn't finish yoru cereal. I need you to finish it now please. Even if you point it out or punish him for it, he wont understand the concept behind why.
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 2:11 AM on Dec. 4, 2010