Is this common, or does it seem weird to you?

Would you choose not to hang out with one of your friends because they aren't going through the same difficulties or situation as you? Like, if the friend fights all the time with their spouse and you get along great with yours, would that maybe keep the friend away because you can't relate so there's no point in hanging out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Relationships

• Only if the situation put my children indanger other than that no cause what kind of friend would ibe if i left a friend hangin when she needed my help
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 9:38 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Most people become friends because they are the same type of people..If you start changing things in your life,,like bad marriage you start having kids she doesn't want kids right now..  you understand right ..Yes I think what you said could have an effect on a friendship..One of the friends might not want to hang out anymore.

Answer by louise2 at 9:40 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• There right now dear. I have friends like this. My SO brought it up to me that he thinks we need to stray away from them because 1 he is tired of hearing it all the time, as with me, & 2 he said its like they are in high school. He told me they need to grow up. LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I stopped hanging out with a friend. She wanted to hang out all the time at my expense. Bashing her ex and his new wife. I had absolutely nothing in common. I tried but it got to the point where she was just using me for free drinks before she would go out for her booty call.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• well i think if your friend thats fighting with her spouse, cant keep things at home, then its hard to hang out with a person that complains all the time! When you hang out with your friend and she complains alot, there's no fun to it anymore. just like when i go out with my inlaws to the bar, i expect any mentioning of my home life (kids, marriage life, problems, ect) to stay at home and to have the fun that i was expecting to have at the bar!
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 9:46 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• What I'm saying is my friend has an awful relationship with her husband and I have a great one with mine, I still want to hang out with her but she's said before I wish we could relate ( like she wishes I was going through the same kinda crap with my husband )
    Anonymous

• I was very close to a friend for over 30 years, we had been through a lot together. About 2 years ago, her husband left her (she chose her adult children (from a previous marriage) over him after 18 years of marriage). She started changing. I understand that. She thinks we should have deserted her EH and never speak to him again since they are getting divorced. That's not happening, because we are not divorcing "them", they are divorcing each other.
    Needless to say, we only talk maybe once a month now...which is so sad, because the people she has chosen to be friends with are dragging her down...fast!
    Follow what your heart is telling you. And don't feel guilty about your decision.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• well it looks like you made up your mind already
    Anonymous

• No, MY friend who is the one going through the issues with her husband is the one who is NOT hanging out with me, I don't mind listening to her problems and I like hanging out with her, but I think she's stopped because I have a good relationship with my husband and she doesn't
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Can you ask her what's going on? I ithink I would stop seeing certain people if they were bringing me down or had something disturbing about their personality. If your friend isn't hanging out with you because you don't have a bad relationship with your husband like she does then yea, that is weird.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 10:02 AM on Nov. 6, 2008