how do u get your kids to sleep at night

i try to get my 16 month old to lay on the couch with me and listen to music or just let him run around til hes falls asleep

yankeegirl87

Asked by yankeegirl87 at 10:32 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• i let my 15 month old ds play in his room with yo gabba gabba on until he falls asleep, with my 4 y/o i just tuck her in and read her a story and she's usually asleep before i'm done reading
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 10:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I have always put them to bed awake, now that they are older (9,5,3) all I have to do is tell them it is bed time. They never object.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You need a routine. Sitting on the couch isn't something to do at bedtime, and letting him run around just gets him riled up. Jammies, brush teeth, turn down the lights, book, song, snuggle time, turn on music, turn off light, leave. Add a bath whenever necessary.
    Curllyq

Answer by Curllyq at 10:38 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I have a 7 month old and we do dinner, Bath, brush teeth ( the two he has hehe) read a book, then a bottle and he's ready for bed!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I tell them I am going to race them to the potty. They all go to the bathroom and brush their teeth. Then I read stories to the 4 and 2 year old and give them each a cuddle and a tuck in, turn off their light and leave the room. I secure the baby gate and hug my eldest, 11, and turn off his light.
    The 11 and 4 year old always go right to sleep. The youngest tries to get out of going to bed, so he stands at the gate and cries that he has to go to the bathroom. That usually lasts about 15 minutes and then he falls asleep on the floor. My husband moves him to his bed before we go to bed.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:42 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• It's best to have a routine. For us, my two year old knows it's time for bed when Mommy or Daddy takes the family dog Chibi outside to go potty. Whoever doesn't take the dog out, gets the child into clean pull-ups and jammies. When Chibi comes back inside, my daughter puts food and water into the containers in Chibi's crate where she sleeps. Then we go upstairs and brush our teeth. She gets hugs and kisses, then lays down in bed. I just sit next to her and read (my own books, silently - if I read aloud she thinks it's ok to talk.) until she falls asleep.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 10:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• We have a routine. Dinner, baths, 1 year old goes to bed, stories or a movie with the 4 year old, then bed for him. With both of them, i lay them in their beds, give them loves, turn the light off and they go to sleep! Sometimes it takes them a bit, but they're pretty good about just going to sleep. Even on nights when our schedule gets thrown off (like Wednesday nights we dont get home from church til 9ish) i still just lay them down and they go to sleep.
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 10:56 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My 13, 10, and 9 year old go to bed at bedtime (8:30 on weeknights, 10 on weekends) - they know bedtime and I don't even have to say anything, but I go tuck them in. I have a routine for my 2 year old and 5 months old - they go into bed/crib awake at bedtime (7:30 for the 2 year old, 8 o clock for the 5 month old) and go to sleep.

Answer by missanc at 11:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• put them in the crib/bed, turn off the light and walk out....
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 2:56 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• crulyq, who are you to say running around is not something to do at bedtime. i use to let my daughter do this when she was a little young and every once in awhile i do it and still now she watches tv and plays before bed time. its not your place or any one elses to say anyone elses routine is something they shouldn't do.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:22 AM on Dec. 4, 2010