Geez...explain to me why

you wouldn't agree with me on this.

Another poster posted a question about her seeing a poor little 3 yr old boy being beaten by his mother in a bathroom in a restaurant she was in with her small daughter and she wanted to know what we would have done but in the course of her question she commented that she didn't have a cell phone. I pointed out a concern about her not having a cellphone with her with a small child and low and behold...I've gotten 10 different shades of shit for it. I for one think that in this day and age, a cell phone is a necessity. One lady pointed out that if she broke down or anything she would just wait for someone to come by to ask for help...well...where I live, that's how people die and I also pointed out that the original poster could have called the police right then and there if she had had a cell phone.

Now, with the fact that you can get a FREE cell phone through lifelink.com, why was I wrong?

I personally think that a cell phone is about a crucial as my next breath...not for texting...not for talking with a bf or bff or so but most definately for an emergency...it's more important than a jack (which I don't know how to use BTW), don't you agree? If not, why?

ShouldHaveLeft

Asked by ShouldHaveLeft at 10:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Technology

• I don't really understand all the fuss here. First, the lady did what she could do, she did the right thing and clearly she felt bothered and upset by it to discuss it further on CM. It is too bad the restaurant didn't step up and do more, but she isn't to blame for that. I think everyone would agree.

Second, how can anyone here honestly disagree with the statement that carrying a cell phone is helpful in case of any type of emergency? Of course it is, whether you like cell phones or not; whether you can afford cell phones or not. And what hasn't changed in the last 10 years, I would ask. My kids discovered a pay phone we came across in a restaurant a few weeks ago. They were fascinated by the phone that you put a quarter in, which really says something. And ask a stranger for assistance these days? Never in a billion years, unfortunately those days have passed. It is responsible to carry a cell phone for emergencies.

spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 11:24 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• My cell phone is certainly convenient, but a necessity?! What, exactly, do you think has changed SO MUCH in the past 10 years that makes it impossible to live without a cell phone on you 24 hours a day?
    I know quite a few people who don't have them and they live perfectly normal, fulfilling lives.
    Curllyq

Answer by Curllyq at 10:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• @ Hodgkinrus - Sorry, I having my two year old in hand, I was not going to snatch a child from someone obviously violent and unstable. I DID ask the restaurant employees to do something, and they did nothing. Just stated how terrible it was and stared at me. So tell me again how much I should be blamed for someone else beating their kid. Dumb bitch. Know all the details before you make accusations.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 10:57 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I agree with you. I have a cell phone for emergencies. It is a good thing. I don't have a fancy one---I don't text---I have a TracFone. Its cheap. But it is for emergencies so who cares,right? So, people told you it was wrong for everyone to have a cell phone? That's odd.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• i agree
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• on phoneI actually do agree but their have been many times I didn't have a phone in the past because I was struggling to pay the bill (thanks for the lifelink suggestion). It's something that's is very important and very useful but not everyone can afford one. Every one's circumstances are different. Was she wrong or irresponsible for not having one no...is it something that is very useful and important to have, yes.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 10:52 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I do agree. I mean how many of you see pay phones anymore? I thing this has become an obsolete item. If you sit on the side of the road, you never know who is going to stop. There are a lot of crazy people out there these days.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:53 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I actually did just read FluffyMamaBunny post and I think she did every thing in her control...while not having a cell phone (had to bring that out since that's what this post is about.
    Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• HEY LADIES...PLAY NICE!!! I never ever said that the poster was wrong or irresponsible for not having a cell phone, that wasn't my point...my point was/is that I think they are indespensible and would have been very necessary in the situation she found herself in. I agreed with her, with my kid in tow, I wouldn't have gone near that crazy lady.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Comment by ShouldHaveLeft (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I agree to a point, Some people are not eligible for the lifeline phones, and they can be very expensive to have. I got my first cell for emergencies only and always left in the car. Which would not have done me any good in the restroom. There is phones though that you can just add minutes too that can be fairly cheap as well. She could have taken that boy right out to the front end and asked to use the phone or had them call 911. She most definitely was just as much to blame.
    hodgkinrus6

Answer by hodgkinrus6 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2010