What can I do instead of a headboard?

I do not have a headboard on my bed. It fits right up to the wall. My husband does not like things hung above the bed because he's afraid of it falling on us while we sleep. So, right now I have some of the vinyl word art above the bed, but the wall is soooo boring. I'd like to do some sort of a fake headboard. Any suggestions? It's a king size bed.

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 10:41 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• How about curtains? Some people do that even if there's no window. And a curtain is not that heavy....if it falls on you by some weird chance. LOL. I myself, have one of those folding screens behind my bed as a headboard...its made of wood and iron, it looks pretty nice. I straightened it out and put it behind my bed so it's held upright by the weight of the bed. There's no way it could fall.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 10:46 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• One idea is to paint a "headboard" on the wall behind the bed. My sister did this in her daughter's room, and it looks super cool. She just painted a square about 5 shades darker than the surrounding wall, then did a perimeter around the square in a different color. It looks very good. I'm sure there are a number of different ways this can be done using paint or fabric.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You can paint a headboard on your wall.

http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-faux-headboards/

Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• How about just painting a faux headboard on the wall? Or you could attach fabric to the wall & frame it out with wood strips tacked to the wall too. You can also just buy or make a headboard in a style you like, which you could then attach to your bedframe or sit on the floor behind the bed.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 10:47 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Paint a head board, curtains hung on a pole suspended from the ceiling, a quilt hung behind the bed.....
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:25 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I like the curtain idea....install a pretty rod, centered over your bed and word art on the wall and hang coordinating sheers, parted to each side, to "frame" the word art, and secure the sheers on either side to the wall with pretty ribbon attached to to the wall with small cup hooks about 2/3 of the way down.

Add a few large euro or sham pillows propped up against the wall to create a more "cozy" look! :o)

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Can you buy a headboard that isn't attached and just lean it up and keep the legs from sliding by using the end tables if they are sturdy.
    make a quilt fashioned over it like it's draped or laying over naturally, and put a dark brown or black sheer in a slant angled kind of artsy over that like a breeze blowing from the side, and tied back with a tassel. or more of the same material, with flowers into the knotted part.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 10:24 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• put sconces on the wall at each side>> at head level by your night stand / light tables. Directly above your pillows place a bird nest basket weave or natural rattan nest in darker wood, or black laquer paint , ...drape one sheer , black / white, behind the nest and flowing down either side of the nest toward the sides of the bed. Reminds you of a crown. Not to mention it's a faux 4 poster look.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• paint one on?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 3:12 PM on Dec. 4, 2010