Caring for a blind person...who refuses to learn braille or cane travel

Hi ladies! I am here asking for any advice I can get. I have a dear elderly friend who is blind. The sad thing is her parents never let her actually live as a "blind" person.. she went to public school and had a tutor that read to her and wrote for her... then she married and her DH took care of her. She has lived in a "sighted" world her entire life. Her DH passed away 2 years ago,,she has made it with the help of some friends, but her friends are starting to fall to the wayside (busy with their own lives) I have decided to work for her 5 days a week (and still work the hotel 2 days), and here is my question, can anyone make suggestions for games I can play with her..she loves password..and really likes crosswords if I read her the clues... I am trying to find ways to keep her mind sharp (she is 70) and things to do with her that give her purpose..we tried working at the school for the blind but she feels out of place and like she is "less than" since children can read and get around easier than she can.. any info, websites, or suggestions are appreciated. She has been forced to live in the dark so long, and she is ashamed of her blindness.. so it is hard to get her interested in anything that classifies her as a "blind" person. It is so hard for her and she is now "set" in her ways and refuses to learn new ways of living that will give her more freedom..My heart goes out to this lady and I just want to help her. Thank you in advance for all your help and suggestions.

Tzutchka

Asked by Tzutchka at 10:45 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• She is 70, I wouldn't push the learning new things, especially things that remind her of her disability, since she doesn't seem to like being reminded of it. You could ask if she likes music, maybe see if you can help her set up some play lists on her computer. You guys could cook together, go shopping and help her get the things she needs then make some meals or snacks and freeze them (she can talk to you while you do it, or even help measure or stir things). Walks around the block or park are always good (be really descriptive about the scenery), maybe things like cranium, or the games where you guess based on the clues. those brain teaser cards are fun. Maybe some modeling clay, you guys can make little sculptures.
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 12:37 AM on Dec. 4, 2010