Was I wrong to let family/friends know on FaceBook?

My sister died last Saturday. I tried to get ahold o one sister but the # I had, I thought was wrong. My sister have a lot of relitives on FB. I didn't know any other way to reach them because I lost my address book and some of them I didn't even have addresses for. One sister got so mad she told a woman who raised me and with whom I hadn't spoken to in 22 yrs. The woman called to chew us out for upseting her little girl (she's 50 yrs old who acts 12 yrs old)

I need to know, did I dishonor my sister's death by putting it on Facebook?

Prayerpartner

Asked by Prayerpartner at 11:17 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• No. You let people know the only way you knew how. It would have been worse to just not tell people at all, who would have wanted to know.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 11:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• No you didn't dishonor your sister. whn my siblings and i can't get a hold of each other we will post on FB. Some people will complain about anything. How are you doing glad to see you on here!
    suelo74

Answer by suelo74 at 11:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I dont think you dishonored her death no. In the future Im sorry for your loss.
    MommyTanisha

Answer by MommyTanisha at 11:22 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Not at all.Its your life and your right to post anything that happens to you.
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Perhaps saying "Would anyone who knows my sister please contact me immediately? I have some emergent news about her, and cannot find most of your contact information" would have been better? I dunno, hun, but I don't think you did anything wrong.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:31 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• No. Its not traditionally done that way, but you got the msg out. Anyone that would chew you out after such a loss probably isnt worth your time.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 11:51 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• no you did it the best way you can im sorry for your loss & i hope all your family is ok & getting better yeah there hurting know but they will get over it & will move on goodluck sweetie i hope everything works out for you & your family
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 12:11 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Let's say I was in line at the grocery store and the lady ahead of me has a huge basket of things on the conveyor belt... and I decide to kill time to check my facebook... and I read that my sibling has died. needless to say, I'm going to get a bit emotional if I read that on there. I think a msg with "I really need to talk to you, please call me, here's my number, it's very important" would be better suited to a sibling or close family member.
    But at a time like that, you're not thinking... and I am so very sorry for the loss of your sister.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 6:11 PM on Dec. 4, 2010