Would you file a complaint? Re:Southwest airlines

My husband was almost killed in a motorcycle accident in April. He is going through knee surgeries and is on medication that makes it deadly for him to drink alcohol.
Today we were flying back from Vegas and at the Southwest check in desk my husband inquired about pre-boarding. The women replied that they didn't pre-board for hangovers, and giggled.
My husband stared at her straight faced and replied that he was handicapped not hungover.
I was really upset, embarrassed, and amazed at what she had said.
She saw that he was serious and started trying to back track and apologize.
I jotted her name down so I could file a formal complaint.
Although my husband chooses to continue working to support his family, his doc has given him papers declaring his disabled and a perm disabled placard. He can only walk with a cane and has physical therapy 3/times/week. He has another surgery in Dec.
I feel like this woman really stepped out of line with what she said. Would you complain? What would you say?

Orionsgirl

Asked by Orionsgirl at 11:20 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Travel

• I would have retorted back to her, "Obviously ____(insert HER name here)_____, at least I'm not the one that is handicapped....... in the mouth!"

I would perhaps write a letter and explain their check in people need not to make ASSUMPTIONS against people verbally and need to keep smart remarks to themselves. I could understand if you were frequent fliers and knew everyone in the area, but her remark should have been withheld.

She stuck her foot in her mouth, and at least tried to back track it and apologize. Still she made a wrong assumption and I doubt will do that again.  I would have actually said...what I typed.

LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 8:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• The comment was inappropriate without a doubt but I think she thought she was being funny and then realized she had stuck her foot in her mouth. If she was truly sorry and apologized I would let it go. You could call and report her if you feel strongly about it.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• From the outside looking in-it seems like a no harm, no foul-she put her foot in her mouth type of situation HOWEVER I am not the one that almost lost my husband and now is living with the aftermath of a tragedy so if you feel like you need to bring it to their attention there is nothing wrong with letting a company know how the actions of their employee (no matter how harmless it may seem to others) effected one of their customers.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• i say you did what was right for your husband im sorry your husband is not feeling ok i hope the surgery helps his knee better
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 11:37 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• What an unprofessional (bad word). I would complain.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• You betcha! I would definitely call and file a complaint!
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 10:15 PM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I would complain. Tell them how totally out of line & unprofessional she was! How RUDE!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 3:29 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• I would definitely file a formal complaint.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:36 AM on Dec. 5, 2010

• Yep. I would just call and politely, but firmly, tell them what happened. If the person I talked to didn't act extremely apologetic I would ratchet up the nastiness, but I have found that when making a complaint you get a much better response and get taken seriously more if you stay calm and convey that you know the person you're talking to is responsible but is not the guilty party. I kind of try to make it sould like they are obviously going to be on my side, and this other person (the woman that was so rude to your husband in this case) is on the other side.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 11:25 AM on Dec. 7, 2010

• I am sorry that your husband is having difficulty. Obviously it doesn't show by looking at him. So that is good. I would let it go. Life is too short to get your panties all bunched up over one comment by an immature customer service agent. Relax and enjoy life-you are just way too uptight!
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 10:02 PM on Dec. 4, 2010