Is it silly or weird for moms who have natural births to want to be numbed to recieve stitches?

I was just thinking about this. I have had two babies without pain medication, and I was a much bigger baby about the stitches I got for the tears I had than I was for the labor and birth lol. The first time the CNM didn't wait for the lidocain to work and it hurt like a bitch while she stitched me up. The second time I was a little freaked out until I realized the lidocaine was working and I still whimpered and moaned lol.

Why do you think I (and I"m sure many others) go through labor and birth and then want pain relief for repairs? And why are we such big babies about it? Endorphins? State of mind?

What do you think?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 11:28 PM on Dec. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• As a student midwife, I can't imagine not numbing someone up, even after a natural birth. No way!! Two very different pain experiences, and labor is pain with a purpose. Getting stitched without Lido is just plain awful! Don't feel bad about being a "baby" about it!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:55 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• bow downOMG I take my hat off to. I started crying when they pulled the band aid off my arm to put the IV in let alone stitches. Your a strong women!

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 11:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• I don't think it's silly at all. It's a whole different kind of pain, with no reward.
    FluffyMamaBunny

Answer by FluffyMamaBunny at 11:33 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Hell I am glad the numbed me after my natural birth of my son. I received a 4th degree tear and needed close to 50 stitches. No way in hell do I want to feel a needle poking me that much right after giving birth.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• idk lol but my epidural didn't work when i gave birth to my dd but it just felt like a burnung sensation but when my ob cut me for the episiotomy i about came off the bed it hurt so bad and it hurt when he gave me lidocain shots too lol
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Fluffy, you're right, it IS totally different. I don't know exactly how to explain the difference... I mean, labor hurt worse than getting stitches. A lot worse. But I can handle labor pain without too much difficulty, but stitches I'm like "HOLY CRAP! Numb that up, please"lol.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 11:37 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• Music, I have apprenticed as well, and both of the midwives I have learned a lot from *always* use lido, unless the mother requests otherwise. Some practitioners don't, though. I can't imagine that and I don't want to!
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Dec. 3, 2010

• birth and stitches are different kinds of pain. and stitches hurt a lot worse the giving birth.

i've done both. and the stitches hurt a lot more then having my dd, but i still say it's the doctors fault i tore. never before or after that birth did i ever tear and that doctor wouldn't listen to me at all at the hospital. during the labor it alone i was trying to kick him in the face for telling me to shut up. i would have too if the nurses hadn't been holding me do.

birth is intense.......... raw stitches are pure pain!!!! major difference. i don't think it's weird nor silly!!!!! but i've been there and been through both!!!
    oldfashionSAHM

Answer by oldfashionSAHM at 8:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2010