Getting baby to sleep through the night

I don't know what to do anymore..whenever I think he is making progress (like him sleeping till 4am for two days) he goes backwards again, and will wake up at 10pm, then at 1 am, 2, 3, 4,5, and then be awake for the day at 6. I've been nursing him to sleep, but he really needs to be night weaned, he's 6 months going on 7 months.
I worry about the cry it out method...and I feel like I’ve tried everything else, but most things just frustrated me. Any advice?

fyi to everyone: he had a bed time ritual, and I feed him solds 1 hour before bed time, and ussualy nurse him to sleep. It seems if i go in there and don't pick him up, he still cries, rocking him eventually frustrates me a little. :(
Also, he doesn't take a bottle, and i'm not comfortable with formula..

madamlinwe

Asked by madamlinwe at 12:09 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He maybe having a separation anxiety during bedtime. Read him a story or 2 before bad. Rub his back, give him a pacifier if he takes one, give him a save toy like a stuffed animal that doesn't make any noise, give him a kiss, rub his back or whatever gives him comfort, and then tell him that you are around and will be there when he wakes up. Live the door to his nursery open so that he can hear that you are around and let him be for 5 mins. After 5 mins, go check on him especially if he cries, go in & rub his back or head or do whatever comforts him just avoid picking him up b/c it'll make it worse. Then walk away again for 10 mins & check back on him in 10 mins. Repeat every 10 mins until he falls asleep. He may cry for 30 mins the 1st few times before falling asleep. I don't think that our son is traumatized b/c he is smiling from ear to ear during the day and is doing much better going to sleep & staying asleep at night.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 12:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• try to give him a bath, if it doesn't work then try feeding him enough maybe he is not getting full. last try to make sure he is comfortable at the place he sleeps at. Let me know.
    kenya86

Answer by kenya86 at 12:13 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Cry it out will only make him scared of sleep. If it works, it will be because he was traumatized. People sleep after a great trauma. Night weaning doesn't mean he still won't need you to help him back to sleep. Infants wake frequently. That is how they are. Anyone whose kid sleeps long hours is either traumatized or the mother is exaggerating.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I have done CIO with both my boys, but I didn't start it until I was sure that they were just in the habit of waking up, not needing to be fed or changed. Is he getting any solid foods yet? He may just be hungry, and a lot of times, if they don't get enough during the day they'll want to eat at night. If he wakes during the night and you think he's not hungry, I'd just rub his back (or whatever comforts him besides nursing) and keep him in his crib. You may have to do it a few times, but he'll get the picture. Good luck, I know it's frustrating!
    Crazy_Daze

Answer by Crazy_Daze at 12:14 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I started giving my daughter formula at 2 months and i give her a jumbo 8oz bottle at night and shes been sleeping through the night for 2 weeks. She's almost 5 months now.

1Angeland3Girls

Answer by 1Angeland3Girls at 12:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• fyi to everyone: he had a bed time ritual, and I feed him solds 1 hour before bed time, and ussualy nurse him to sleep. It seems if i go in there and don't pick him up, he still cries, rocking him eventually frustrates me a little. :(
    madamlinwe

Comment by madamlinwe (original poster) at 12:22 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• with my first son i noticed that by the time he was 6 months old the milk alone wasnt filling him up and he would wake up through out the night. you might try thickening the milk with a little rice cereal for the night time feedings. if hunger isnt the issue you could try giving him a bath and lotion massage before bed. that also helps. as far as your concerns about the cry it out method, sadly its the best thing to do in some cases. try playing some music for him. (or even for you, to drown out the the crying. i know how hard it is to walk away from your crying baby.) unless there is something really wrong, he shouldnt cry for too long.
    AbsynthLynn

Answer by AbsynthLynn at 12:22 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Ok we are in the same boat and this is my third baby! I nursed all three of them to sleep until the age of one. At about the 6 month mark, they slept plastered to my side in bed with me but they would really sleep well (I would get some too) and I would use this time to teach them to sleep without waking to nurse and shush them to sleep without the boob. No matter how much table food they ate during the day, they always needed just to cuddle with me at night. When I moved them to their own bed, I had to stay with them at first until they fell asleep but eventually they slept on their own. It makes for restless nights but that is what has worked for me. Hope that helps and just know that you are not alone!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:41 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• i learned that it's okay to let your baby fuss for a few minutes. My baby was so used to waking up in the middle of the night, it was just habit. i remember she would wake up and fuss for a little bit maybe about 5min. i ignored it and she went back to sleep. she woke up 2hrs later but that was okay. as long as she was waking up only once a night and not 2-3 times a night.
    MamaSince2005

Answer by MamaSince2005 at 12:55 AM on Dec. 4, 2010