How can I get my daughter to talk in public.

My 2 year old Alexis, only says what she wants to. I've heard her say no, mama, dada, mamaw, papaw, brother, Audrey, bite, drink, Jason, mine, up, down, dog, kitty, and some other things. The problem I have is I'm not in the room when she talks. You see she plays shy and talks when you don't pay attention. I would like to hear from others moms who have had the same problem. I want her to start talking before she goes to school. We just gave up binky on our last bday. If anyone knows anything that may help get her to open up, I'm all eyes and ears. Thank you to all who answer

ERCMYC

Asked by ERCMYC at 12:14 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just try not to pressure her. If she feels like she is on stage or something, she may "clam up." Just talk to her and tell her everything!
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 12:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• She'll do it when she ready. Important thing is you don't force her b/c that might work against you. Talk to her a lot, but make sure you stop and listen as well.

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:19 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I agree, don't pressure her. Just keep talking to her and she'll come around.
    Crazy_Daze

Answer by Crazy_Daze at 12:41 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Don't worry about it, she'll talk when she's ready.
    raynestar

Answer by raynestar at 5:04 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• She's fine. I wouldn't talk in public as a child and now I won't shut up!

Answer by admckenzie at 6:53 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I agree with PP. It is quite possible that she is not "playing shy" but that she actually is very shy. Continue to talk to her and listen, but if you pressure her it might have the opposite effect that you want. If you are really concerned you could talk to your child's doctor about it. I had a first grade student in my class last year who suffered from SL or Selective Mutisim. It took 2 months for him to speak a word to anyone in the class and until December to say a word to me. I am NOT trying to diagnose your child, just wanted to let you know that some children are so overcome with anxiety that it's hard for them to talk, This may be the case with your daughter, or she could just be slow to warm. Either way I would give her more time.
    sandrizzle

Answer by sandrizzle at 11:21 AM on Dec. 4, 2010