My son (3) learned a bad phrase how do I get him to stop saying it?

The phrase is, "I can't..."
I have no idea where he picked it up. And seriously it is a phrase that I don't want said in my home. Any suggestions?

Erica_Smerica

Asked by Erica_Smerica at 12:26 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ignore it and don't make it an issue. Don't even acknowledge he's saying it. He will forget about it soon enough.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:28 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• The bigger deal you make out of it the more he will say it. Ignore him whenever he says it.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 12:30 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• My stepson always tries that .. he knows its not allowed here so i just say r u allowed to say that... he says no and tries again. when he was younger i used to tell him everytime he said that he'd have to do chores.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 12:30 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• When my kids say that I say back "Quick! Name five things you can do....Go!" They think it's funny and gets their mind set on the positive things and they rephrase the problem. It is working so far with my 6 and 3 yr olds!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:54 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• If we ignore a criminal's behavior, does he just stop performing the crime? Of course not. I know kids are not criminals, but I believe the same principle applies. I wouldn't make a huge deal out of it, but be encouraging and positive. Reassure him that he CAN do things and show him that he can! :)
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 8:25 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I would try and correct him as much as possible. For example when he says he can't, I would give him good reasons why you know he can do it or just examples of things he's already accomplished which may get him thinking about what he is saying. Eventually he will stop since he won't have a need to say it anymore.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 4, 2010