would u like them take care of ur kids?

so my sis in law is going back to school to be a teacher. i'm really happy that she is trying to better herself. the thing that gets me is a few years ago she went crazy! no really she was major depressed (bi-polar), had thoughts of killing herself and her boys, had a high speed chase with military police and crashed into a highway medium. which resulted in being hospilized due to an unstable mind set, not injuries. all this happened after she tried to kill herself twice by taking pills. and she tried again after she was released only to be in icu for a week. because of this she is no longer married and lost custody of her boys. (she does get them in the summer) now she is a great person now that she is on medication, but i still wont leave my kids with her. i have no problem if someone else is there, but not her alone. and i really lover her. she's the sil that i get along with. and like i said she's on meds and hasnt had an episode in 2yrs. but i just dont see how she will be able to handle being a teacher?
my bff (since 1st grade) has an older brother who just opened a daycare. he was the typical older brother that bugged the heck out of us and of course i crushed on for a bit. but when he graduated high school and went to tech school he changed. he for some reason thought all his trouble came from his "other head" and tried to cut it off. (couldnt bring himself to actually do it, but nicked it) but came home after that. his girl was cheating on him and when he found out went pycho and all but raped her then came home and ripped his place apart, was admitted to a mental hospital. a few years later joined the army but was relased due to me mental issues, then when he got married and had a baby contently wanted to cut her hands off cause she always want him to hold her?! yeah and when his wife was gonna leave him, he tried to kill himself. but he is on meds now and seems okay. but i still wouldnt leave my kids at his daycare

would u let them or someone with this kind of history take care of your kids?

teddybear2272

Asked by teddybear2272 at 12:34 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Do I really need to answer that? ...HELL NO
    JessicaB86

Answer by JessicaB86 at 12:37 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Uh, no.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 12:41 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• You really don't know anything about bipolar disorder. If someone is regularly taking their medications they rarely (very rarely) have episodes and they won't be sever. It will be the difference of having hallucinations and killing yourself or just being blue or energetic and hyper. I wouldn't let someone that raped anyone near my kids. Your SIL is taking care of her MEDICAL problem and isn't a danger to anyone. There are a lot of bipolar or depressed that teach and you never know.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 12:45 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• tarak - that's the thing when my sil takes her meds she's fine. but she feels fine and stops and then the episodes start. same wtih my bff's brother. i love them both but i have seen both side and i dont want my kids around that.
    and yes like u said there r alot of bipolar and depressed teachers out there that we dont know and that's what gets me. they cant buy a gun cause they have been hospitalized but they can take care of our kids?
    i have dealt with depression for most of my life and would never put myself in that consent stressful enviorment. i love kids, but because of that i know when i cant be around them. why would they even test themselves that way?
    teddybear2272

Comment by teddybear2272 (original poster) at 12:54 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Nope. No way. Never. It's sad for people who have those issues, but if they need medication to keep them stable, they shouldn't be working with children. What if they have a stressful day and forget to take their meds? What's to keep them from having an episode? People say "as long as they take their meds" they are fine... I'm not willing to let my child's safety be left in the hands of someone who could freak out if they don't get their meds. Sorry.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 12:58 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Depends on the person. I tried to commit suicide three times when I was younger. I was in a psychiatric hospital for a month the last time. I got help and have not had any issues in the past 10 years. I am a mother, wife and own three businesses. I am sure many in my community now would not even believe where I have come from. We moved after my last suicide attempt no one in my town would allow me to move on I was always going to be the crazy depressed girl. I have no contact with my family or former friends because of the lack of support. I am better for it realize family was a huge reason I was so anxious and depressed due to a violent childhood and the emotional abuse my parents were still inflicting on us all.

I know what it is like to reach rock bottom with mental illness then rise up to be the person I was meant to be. I give people the chance many never gave me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• When I was in the psychiatric hospital there were three teachers in the unitl with me. All three went back to teaching so I am sure many of your children have been exposed to teachers with mental illness and don't even know it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• You know too many crazy people. Watch out it seems conatagious lol.
    Seriously though, I wouldnt let them watch my precious child. I thought they did background checks for people in those types of possitions.If they dont they should.
    miabug

Answer by miabug at 2:51 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• If they are being treated for their illness then I see no reason why not to. If you didn't personally know these people you would more than likely have no idea that they had these "episodes"
    fallnangel3

Answer by fallnangel3 at 5:26 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• when did mental illness become a crime? i understand that the guy raped the girl and that is a crime and he should be punished. but when they do get background checks mental illness is not a crime. if you didn't know them personally you would never have a clue alot of people have mental illness and noone is the wiser. no i wouldn;t leave my chilld with those people but yet if you didn;t know they would be an everyday person. anyone truthfully can go crazy. even the stable of people have meltdowns. were you thinking of living your child with them? if not then don't worry so much. like you said if someone else is there its fine. i am very very picky on you watches my child. trust your instints its usually right.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:14 AM on Dec. 4, 2010