Probably a really dumb question about candles...

Someone gave me some votive samplers from Yankee Candle. I never buy these- I always buy tealights or jar candles. When you burn them does it make a big waxy mess of your candleholders? If so, how do you clean it out? I've heard you can put the holder in the freezer and freeze the wax so it'll just pop out, but I was afraid I'd break the candleholder. Seems like a really stupid question, but I need to know! Thanks!

winkie_pinkie

Asked by winkie_pinkie at 9:52 AM on Nov. 6, 2008 in Home & Garden

• you can freeze them and chip out the wax or heat it back up again and melt it out but most of the time those votives are made to b e self containing so unless they are on a slope or something they SHOULDN'T drip everywhere.
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 10:00 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• yeah if you are afraid to freeze it then you can heat it up and pour out the wax....

I've never really have had issues with new or newer candles it's the older ones that cause issues for me.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:08 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• I burn votives all the time. I never have had a problem with them. Especially with ones from YC. Just something aout how they are made. The frezing of them is a great idea. But a butter knife to break the last bit apart always worked for me. I also make candles for myself so i have many wicks and heat up the wax and pour the left over wax in an awaiting jar with a waxed flat and wick.(I always pour heated wax out as it is burning, never the blackened wax) I use different colors and scents, makes for a great candle if your interested in doing that. Good luck and no it was not a stupid question hun!
    Pffft

Answer by Pffft at 10:15 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Thanks for the information! I felt kindof silly asking. A family friend gave my sister and I some spiced pumpkin votives from Yankee Candle, which is one of my absolute favorites! I think I'll burn one today! Thanks again!
    winkie_pinkie

Answer by winkie_pinkie at 11:24 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• Good luck, they sound yummy!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 11:27 AM on Nov. 6, 2008

• In a skillet, heat 1 inch of water. Using tongs, place the votive holder in the water for 30 second or until outer layer of wax melts. Still using tongs, pour wax onto paper towels or into another container. Wipe out the remaining wax with a paper towel.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 5:07 PM on Nov. 8, 2008