why does being induce hurt more?

i was induce with my son and ill be induce again but why does it hurt more then going into labor on ur own i dont understand ill ask my doctor on thursday....

twimommy

Asked by twimommy at 1:04 AM on Dec. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i was induced and i didt feel a thing.!
    babbykrissy

Answer by babbykrissy at 1:06 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I look at it as FORCED contractions. Instead of your body naturally laboring its being made to and going against your body.
    mommy_bink

Answer by mommy_bink at 1:06 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I think it's because the meds they give you to start the labor cause the contractions to be really, really strong, and there's very little time between contractions for you to relax. I had back-to-back contractions which were so painful I could barely breathe. Unless there's a dire emergency situation, I'll never get induced again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It causes fake, unnatural contractions that your body wasn't meant to handle, basically. It puts more stress on you mentally and physically (because of the increased pain and intensity of the contractions), and the same applies for the baby.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 1:07 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• What anonymous said. I got an epidural so I didn't feel mine.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 1:13 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• I heard they give you pitocin.....and I heard that it makes contractions really painful.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 1:13 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• Not only does it cause drug induced contractions, many times it also starts your real ones at the same time as the uterus gets warmed up. So you have medication induced ones, natural ones...one right on top of the other. The drug induced ones can also be much stronger, depending on how much medication is used. With a natural labor, you have anywhere from several minutes to almost a minute of rest in between them and they occur more smoothly with a gradual build in strength followed by a recession in strength. There is not as much of a transition with induced contractions.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 1:16 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It all has to do with the hormones that are involved with labor. Your body produces oxytocin which causes contractions. As natural contractions increase in intensity and cause you pain, your body releases endorphins and serotinin to help you cope with the pain. In natural labor (that starts on it's own) the levels of each slowly increase so that you can manage contractions pretty well. When you are induced, they give you a synthetic (fake) form of oxytocin called pitocin. The pitocin is usually given in levels that are higher than what your body would be releasing on it's own at that point and because it is synthetic, it shuts down the whole hormonal "system." You don't produce your own oxytocin OR endorphin/serotonin mix. This usually means you need MORE pitocin to keep things moving along, and it just snowballs.

Another difference is that pitocin contractions are much stronger and more frequent.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 1:18 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• what MamaSueCongdon said ^
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:24 AM on Dec. 4, 2010

• It creates abnormally intense surges.
    Being *too* intense can be very difficult to cope through.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:28 AM on Dec. 4, 2010